Keller’s Korner – April 13

Returning from break, students jumped right back into schedule this past week with a service award, a Spanish National Honor Society (SNHS) luncheon, and the annual Spring Orchestra Concert.

“The highlight of the week for me would probably be the Orchestra concert, because so many of our students work so hard to master the craft of being a musician,” Butch Keller said. “And that is not to downplay all the accomplishments of the Spanish National Honor Society. And I am also so proud of Rohan for his [service] to [the community].”

Senior Rohan Chandra was honored as a Prudential Spirit of Community Award finalist for his volunteer work by a company employee at Monday’s school meeting. His project entailed leading a team in organizing and distributing earthquake safety kits to local senior citizens. The top 10 national honorees for this award will be announced in May.

After releasing the second issue of its magazine, El Pórtico Al Mundo, SNHS had lunch off campus at Mexico Lindo on Wednesday to celebrate its publication. As part of an annual tradition, returning members welcomed sophomores and all other new students to the society during the lunch.

To conclude the week, Orchestra performed at its annual Spring Concert at the Mexican Heritage Plaza on Friday. Conducted by Chris Florio, the group played five classical pieces. Senior Nayeon Kim was featured as a soloist during the orchestra’s performance of Bruch Romanze.

More events to look forward to next week include the annual Science Research Symposium.