Keller’s Korner – March 9

With spring sports in full swing, this week centered around athletic events as well as Key Club Week.

“The fact that we’re highlighting sports teams this week is exciting because of the commitment it takes for students to be athletes at Harker,” Butch Keller said. “It’s quite amazing. Spring sports are starting to rev up into full gear and it’s really exciting.”

Coached by chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine, the Varsity girls lacrosse team currently holds a season record of 2-1. The team’s latest victory took place on Thursday, March 7 when the girls defeated Santa Catalina School 16-9 with goals from Wendy Shwe (12), Michelle Douglas (12), Tiphaine Delepine (12), and Hannah Bollar (10). They will face Santa Catalina School again on Davis Field this Wednesday, March 13.

The Varsity baseball team has played four games this season for a record of 2-2. The team’s most recent win occurred on Tuesday, March 5 and resulted in a score of 10-6 against St. Lawrence Academy. Senior Kevin Cali led the team ahead after hitting a grand slam, bringing the Eagles out of their 6-6 tie. Their next game will take place on Monday, March 11 against Gunderson High School.

Throughout the week, Key Club held a fundraiser for Sunday Friends, an organization established to help low-income families. Club members sold baked goods, Pinkberry frozen yogurt, and hot chocolate outside of Manzanita Hall to raise a total of over $400 to support the cause.

More events to look forward to next week include a L.I.F.E. session and an Eagle Buddies visit.