Varsity girls soccer earns first victory of the season

The Varsity girls’ soccer team defeated Pacific Collegiate 2-0 on Davis Field this Tuesday, securing their first victory of the season.

During the first 10 minutes of the game, Nikita Parulkar (10) was able to score a goal. Both teams struggled for the rest of the first half as they drove the ball from side to side with no goals.

However, during the second half, the Eagles gained another point when Sondra Costa (12) shot a goal, making the score 2-0. After a few corner kicks and numerous close shots, the game ended with no further points by either team leading.

According to several members, the team was able to win because of the teamwork and familiarity developed amongst the players during daily practices.

“Our team meets an hour and 30 minutes a day for five days a week.” Nikita said.

Furthermore, head coach Jason Berry mentioned that the team has shown progress and potential at this point of time. There has been few games played, but the team has yielded positive results.

“Seeing that the season just started, we played two games so far. We’ve played three games; one was a scrimmage and two were non league games against Redwood Christian and Pacific Collegiate,” Berry said.

During the game, there were two missing players: a defensive back and the starting goalie. There were replacements that were added to improvise, and the plan worked to obtain a victory. Taylor Mahal (11) was the replacement for the goalie.

“I usually play left defense, but playing goalie requires the player to be more alert and concentrated,” she said.

Following the team’s victory in this game, the Eagles will play their next home game after winter break on Tuesday, January 8, against Eastside College Prep.