Girls soccer kicks off season with home game against Redwood Christian

Senior Sondra Costa dribbles the ball as an opponent approaches to her left. The Varsity team played aggressively throughout the game to open more opportunities for the Eagles to score.

“Go! Fight! Win!” cheered the enthusiastic crowd of soccer fans on Davis Field. On Wednesday, November 28, the Varsity girls soccer team played its first official game of the season, losing 2-1 to Redwood Christian Jr-Sr High School.

Through the first half, both teams held their ground fighting offensively and the defensively to keep the game tied at 0-0. In the second half, Redwood Christian scored the first two goals of the game, but Nikita Parulkar (10) quickly answered with a goal of her own. The game ended with a final score of 2-1, a defeat for the lady Eagles.

Despite the team’s loss against Redwood Christian, Head Coach Jason Berry was proud of the team’s improvement since its last scrimmage and is optimistic about fixing the weak points in future practices.

“Communication [and] movement off the ball was a bit better; and play from the wings was quite good. We could have finished much better, but that’s what these early games will help point out to me and Coach Ransome,” Berry said in an email interview.

A number of middle school faculty as well as fourth through eighth grade soccer teams attended the game to show support for the Varsity players.

“[This game] was a great event for [the middle school athletes] to be able to support the [Varsity] team on their first home game and to be able to have our young players look forward to getting to see the opportunities if they play for the high school team,” middle school physical educator Chrissy Chang said.

Encouraged by the middle school students’ cheers, the Varsity team was motivated to play more aggressively and set a good example for the younger athletes.

“[They] made me want to play harder so they [can] have [role models] to look up to [when] they get to high school,” Kianna Bisla (11) said.

The Lady Eagles will continue their positive spirit for the next game, which will take place on December 4 against Pacific Collegiate School.