Corey Gonzales makes debut at Cross Country State Championships

Sophomore Corey Gonzales competes in the WBAL League Championships at Crystal Springs on Thursday, November 1. He then went onto finishing fourth at CCS Finals a week later, becoming the second student in school history to qualify for the State Championships.

The second student in the school’s history to participate in such a level, sophomore Corey Gonzales placed 62 out of 204 runners in the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Cross Country Championships on Saturday, November 24 at Fresno.

Entering his first statewide meet, Corey revealed that he did not expect much from his last race of the season.

“State [championship] was just a bonus,” he said. “My goal this whole season was just to qualify and once I got there, I just wanted to go and see what it’s all about.”

He referred to this season as a “transition year,” shifting from splitting his efforts between running and wrestling to just focusing on the former.

In the days leading up to the big event, Corey continued practicing as if the regular season were underway. Head Coach Scott Chisam prepared skill specific workouts for Corey since he was the sole qualifier for the meet.

“Now that I know what it’s like, there are certain racing strategies that I can improve upon, but, other than that, I’m going to keep working at it like I have been,” Corey said.

Accustomed to being in the lead of any race, Corey noted the high-caliber of competition at the state level. According to Corey, due to the talent and skill level of the other competitors at State Championships, “there are [approximately] 20 people around you throughout the whole race.” The five-kilometer course tested Corey’s physical stamina and mental strength throughout its mountainous and rough paths.

Corey qualified for the State meet by placing fourth in CCS Finals on November 10 in Salinas. Now that the season has concluded, he says that he will veer his focus towards track and field, in which he will compete run in the 1600 meters and 3200 meters.