Varsity football honors seniors at home game against Monta Vista

The Eagles line up on defense in the first quarter. On their senior night, the team played against Monta Vista High School and lost 6-48.

Ten seniors on the football team were honored yesterday during one of the last games of the season. The team lost to Monta Vista High School 6-48.

Seniors Spenser Quash, Drew Goldstein, Adrienne Mendel, Robert Deng, Deniz Celik, JP Doherty, Daniel Wang, Ryan Mui, Michael Chen, and Raghav Selvaraj were recognized for their contributions to the football team before the game.

According to Michael and JP, the energy and excitement of the game will be missed as the season draws to a close, but they were honored to be a part of senior night.

“[I will] definitely [miss] my teammates; I like hanging around the team, and the environment we create; it’s a pleasure,” JP said. “I remember being a freshman and looking at the seniors and thinking, wow, and now I finally got to do it, so that’s definitely cool.”

Michael echoed these sentiments.

“It’s not too great that the season’s ending, because I won’t be able to see these guys all together ever again,” Michael said.

He was also pleased with the team’s performance despite injuries sustained by some of the players this season.

“I’m most proud of the whole team; when I was out, they stuck it up and went through quite a lot of hardships without me. It made a man out of all of them,” Michael said.

The first quarter ended 0-21 in favor of the Matadors. A touchdown from quarterback Spenser to Kevin Moss (11) left the score at 6-28 by halftime.

Although the Eagles were unable to end Monta Vista’s lead, many in the crowd were still optimistic.

“I thought it was a good effort all around,” Arya Kaul (10) said during halftime. “Although Monta Vista has some raw talent, Harker can still win this game. Go Eagles!”

Nikhil Panu (12), co-president of Eagle Nation, thought the crowd was much more spirited compared to previous football games.

“It’s pretty cool [to cheer on the Eagles at senior night]. Regardless of what the scoreboard says, we’re just having fun out here, having a good time, and trying to energize [everyone],” Nikhil said.  “It’s a big improvement from last games, and I think we’re uniting more; we sectioned off part of the bleachers for the students, and it’s been great today.”

In spite of the energized spectators and a renewed effort after halftime, the Eagles were unable to close the gap.

“We couldn’t stop them on defense,” Head Coach Ron Forbes said.

The game ended with a final score of 6-48.

The team’s next game, which is the Eagles’ last away game, will be held at Fremont High School on October 26 at 6:30 p.m.