Students wear red to support LGBT youth on National Coming Out Day

Several freshman girls wear red in honor of National Coming Out Day. In support of the LGBT community, this day is celebrated on October 11.

On Thursday, many students from each grade wore red to support the LGBT community for National Coming Out Day.

National Coming Out Day, founded in 1988, is observed annually on October 11 to celebrate LGBT individuals coming out to their communities.

During this Monday’s school meeting, senior Eric Swenson spoke about his difficulties being gay while trying to fit in with his peers in both sports and school. He raised awareness about the LGBT community while addressing the closeted gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered. At the end of his speech, he urged students to wear red to show their acceptance and support.

“A label is just a label. Don’t get caught up in things like that. Just be yourself,” Eric said at the school meeting. “Your identity, and therefore your life, will be much more meaningful that way. All of you have people you can talk to. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone about how you feel. A close friend, a trusted teacher, or you can even talk to me if you so desire.”

His speech earned him a standing ovation from the student body.

“I’m wearing red because Eric Swenson’s speech really moved me and opened me up to things about the gay community that people usually wouldn’t know about,” Andy Wang (11) said. “I wore it out of respect; I wore it for him and his cause, and the cause of LGBT in general. It’s important [to support these people] because they deserve an equal part in this society.”

Spanish teacher and GSA club advisor Abel Olivas also thought that Eric’s speech touched and motivated many students.

“I found [Thursday] to be a very uplifting collective demonstration of support, the largest Upper School effort on National Coming Out Day so far, I’d say,” he said.  “[Eric] gave the Harker community such a clear window into the struggles of LGBT teens and made that experience so achingly real, that it naturally sensitized us a bit more.  […] I hope it provided some reassurance to those kids who are in the closet as they struggle to accept this aspect of their identity and wrestle with whether to tell anyone.”

Many of those who wore red yesterday similarly felt that it was important to show that the LGBT have a community that supports and respects them for who they are.

“I was driving into school [yesterday], and I was really impacted that there’s so many people who took maybe 10 seconds to pick out a red shirt, but it was still that time they thought, ‘Oh, I should wear red so I can show my support to these people,’” Namrata Vakkalagadda (11) said .

Eric said he was “truly really impressed” by how many people wore red. He wishes that an upperclassman could have reassured him like he wishes he has done for others back when he was a freshman and “hopelessly lost.”

Many students wearing red yesterday hoped to reciprocate Eric’s sentiment of acceptance of their LGBT peers throughout the school.