A charming chocolatier

“Wonka” transports viewers to a world of magical chocolate, musical mischief
Illustration by Eva Cheng
The 2023 release “Wonka” tells the origin story of Willy Wonka from Roald Dahl’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. With its appealing visuals, catchy tunes and lighthearted villain roles, the musical constructs a fantastical and enchanting world, despite being cheesy at times.

Arriving in a whimsical metropolis with nothing but dreams, a young, starry-eyed Willy Wonka strolls into the square of Galerie Gourmet, home of the world’s most renowned chocolatiers, hoping to start his own business. Boasting his newest recipe for “hoverchocs,” delectable truffles that allow its consumers to fly, Wonka sets up his stand in the middle of the street and promptly breaks into a choreographed musical number.

Starring Timothée Chalamet, the 2023 release “Wonka” tells the origin story of Willy Wonka from Roald Dahl’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. With its appealing visuals, catchy tunes and lighthearted villain roles, the musical constructs a fantastical and enchanting world, despite being cheesy at times.

While the story itself was quirky and comedic, many viewers bought tickets solely to witness Timotheé Chalamet’s main character role. 

Timothée Chalamet rose to fame in 2017 after his role in the film “Call Me by Your Name” earned him a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actor. At only 22 years old, he was one of the youngest actors to ever achieve this accomplishment, generating media attention and recognition worldwide. Throughout his career, Chalamet became renowned for his sensitive and complex portrayal of characters.

Focused more on Wonka’s development as an aspiring chocolatier rather than the character’s dark, morally ambiguous masterplans, the movie paints Wonka in a purely innocent and dreamy light

Chalamet’s depiction of Willy Wonka contrasts from prior versions. Focused more on Wonka’s development as an aspiring chocolatier rather than the character’s dark, morally ambiguous masterplans, the movie paints Wonka in a purely innocent and dreamy light. Ditching the bulging-eyed goggles and off putting persona, this Wonka exudes youthful ambition while maintaining the iconic mysterious eccentricity.

His impoverished upbringing and resilient nature depicts him  similar to Charlie from Roald Dahl’s novel, the winner of Wonka’s factory. With his childlike innocence and rags to riches storyline, this version of Wonka presents a distinct parallel to the young boy.

However, implementing Wonka’s story as a musical detracted from the movie’s impact by making its messages feel more frivolous than profound.

It came as quite a shock when Chalamet burst into song during the first scene of the movie…and never stopped. The trailer seemed to downplay the fact that “Wonka” is a musical, excluding the flashy singing and dancing scenes and putting more of an emphasis on the story itself.

The plot of the story was somewhat lost in the dramatic choreography and colorful costuming, with the characters becoming stereotypical caricatures rather than nuanced individuals.

While the film boasted several catchy tunes, Chalamet’s mastery of delicate acting was overshadowed by the charming and upbeat tone of the entire musical. Casting him as Wonka may have been more successful if he were left to portray the character through speech rather than song.

Overall, “Wonka” was a lighthearted and entertaining movie that portrays Roald Dahl’s most well-known characters on its own terms. With its cheerful music, the movie lightens Willy Wonka’s previously established persona into an optimistic young man, whose goofy sayings and unexpected singing make him difficult to take seriously.