School meeting 10/31/23: Chellaween, DECA kickoff, game night

Margaret Cartee
ASB Student Events Committee members Ella Lan (12), Ameera Ramzan (9), Sam Parupudi (11), Amishi Gupta (10) and Shareen Chahal (12) remind students about Chellaween on Tuesday during the school meeting. Chellaween featured singing and dancing acts from students and teachers in the quad during long lunch on Tuesday.

Associated Student Body (ASB) Secretary Cynthia Wang (12) broke the news that the projector was broken and that slides and videos could not be projected. 

ASB president Daniel Lin (12) wished students a happy Halloween. Visual arts teacher Pilar Agüero-Esparza talked about Iranian-American mixed media artist-in-residence Pantea Karimi, who will be working with students at all three Harker campuses. Karimi will conduct a presentation about her artwork in Nichols during long lunch on Nov. 6. 

Civics students Jason Shim (11), Yasmin Sudarsanam (11), Sahngwie Yim (11) and Anoushka Chakravarty (10) invited students to attend the opening of a historical exhibit in Shah Hall documenting the history of voting rights in America. The exhibit will be open until Nov. 10. 

Harker Eclectic Literature Magazine (HELM) editor-in-chief Trisha Iyer (12) and junior editors Iris Cai (11), Eva Li (11) and Charlize Wang (11) introduced the theme “Burn” for the magazine’s 2023-24 annual issue. The magazine is art and writing submissions until Dec. 15, with no cap on the number of submissions. 

DECA Vice President of public relations Gabe Li (11) announced November as “DECA month” and announced the club’s kickoff, an ice cream social in Manzanita Hall on Friday after school. Director of engagement Eden Kelly (10) announced the annual winter wishing sale, where DECA will be selling $5 goodie bags on Thursday’s long lunch and Friday in the Innovation Center. All proceeds will go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The Hustle for Muscle volleyball tournament is set to take place on next Monday’s long lunch with the frosh playing the juniors and the sophomores playing the seniors. Next Wednesday’s long lunch will be the championship and the faculty versus students game. 

Vice President Aniketh Tummala (12) and Physics Problem Writer Jacqueline Huang (11) from the Physical Sciences club introduced the second Harker Physics Invitational, challenging students to solve 25 problems in 90 minutes. Levels of the problems’ difficulty will range from freshman physics to Advanced Placement (AP) Physics C. The invitational will take place over Zoom on Nov. 11 with $150 worth of prize money. Jacqueline mentioned a speaker event featuring a panel of former United States physics team members to give competition advice on Saturday.

ASB Lifestyle Committee members Fiona Yan (12), Rushil Jaiswal (11), Ananya Pradhan (10) and Nikhil Bawa (9) introduced step-and-pull foot pedals, amenities added to bathroom doors around campus to improve sanitation. The Lifestyle Committee worked with maintenance staff to install the pedals in the Athletics Center (AC) and Nichols Hall. The committee plans to install more pedals around campus. 

ASB Student Events Committee members Shareen Chahal (12), Ella Lan (12), Sam Parupudi (11), Amishi Gupta (10) and Ameera Ramzan (9) explained details about Chellaween, the annual program that takes place during long lunch in the Quad where students perform singing, dancing and comedy acts, and its activities include a polaroid photo booth and interactive booths from the research club, Tri-M and the puzzle club. Chellaween took place later on Tuesday during long lunch. 

Student council game night task force members Anish Jain (12), Aaron Bao (11), Jason, Amishi and Ameera announced a schoolwide game night, which will take place on Friday from 3:10 to 4:10 p.m. in Nichols Auditorium. Four gamers from each class will compete in Super Smash Bros and Clash Royale tournaments. Game night will provide refreshments for attendees. 

Cynthia apologized again for the broken projector and promised to post the meeting slides on Schoology as well as two videos, one from the ASB Lifestyle Committee and one from Harker Aquila. Daniel directed students to go to Manzanita to register for the costume contest during long lunch.