Sparkling in style: Students create memories at annual homecoming dance

Felix Chen
Students pose with props for a photo at the photo booth. Besides dancing, students could play ping-pong, take photos and enjoy food and drink.

Students gathered for the annual Homecoming Dance in the auxiliary gym and quad on Oct. 13 from 7 to 10 p.m. 

Due to this year’s location change for the dance from Nichols Hall to the Auxiliary Gym, HSLT needed to improvise to adapt to the new format. According to upper school head Paul Barsky, concerns for the safety of the fish tanks and new electronic equipment like the gene sequencer prompted the change. Barsky also noted the effort that Harker staff and HSLT put into bringing the dance together. 

“There were a lot of smiles, a lot of good energy … It was really well-organized, so kudos to the students and adults that helped organize it,” Barsky said. “[In future events], I’m looking forward to the kind of energy that we had tonight — a lot of pride in being an Eagle and being a community member.”

Students felt the impact of the location change as well as other modifications to the dance. Metrica Shi (12), who attended the dance last year, shared her perspective on some of this year’s changes.

“I thought it was interesting that they chose to do [the dance] in Aux, which made the environment something I wasn’t used to,” Metrica said. “They played a lot of different songs this year, which was cool.”

Over the course of the afternoon, Harker staff began to set up water and snack stations with candy and cupcakes, a ping pong table, cornhole boards, a s’mores station and friendship bracelet station all in the Quad. Members of the Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) decorated the aux gym and the Quad with lights, streamers and banners.

Homecoming dance attendees wore semi-formal clothing including button-ups, blazers and dresses. A DJ at the front of the gym played songs like  “Rich Flex” by Drake and 21 Savage, “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert and “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)” by Katy Perry. Dance attendee Sathvik Chundru (12) commented on the overall atmosphere of the dance.

“Once the lights turned off and the songs got better, people got more and more into it and then it became fun,” Sathvik said. “Once people lose that self consciousness and they get in their mood, then it gets lit.”

Jennifer Liu (9), Annabel Huang (9), Joyce Zhang (9) and Grace Huang (10) pose with props for a photo at the photo booth. Besides dancing, students could play ping-pong, take photos and enjoy food and drink. (Felix Chen)

Throughout the course of the dance, teachers, including upper school chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine and upper school English teacher Christopher Hurshman, chaperoned the event for safety measures. Some students invited guests from other schools to attend the dance, who were required to pay a $20 entry fee and bring a student ID. 

For many students, the dance serves as an opportunity to take a break from Harker’s stressful academic environment. Taking place on a Friday night, the dance allowed many students to relax and utilize the weekend to recharge.

“I decided to go to the [Homecoming] dance because I wanted to have a fun time with my friends and get a break from school,” dance participant Aanya Shah (10) said. “I really enjoyed last year[‘s dance], especially since I was new to Harker. I felt like it was a good experience that helped me bond with people and make new friends.”

The DJ played the final song at 10 p.m, and students departed from the front and back loading zones. The homecoming dance serves as one of Harker’s most prominent spirit events, bringing students from all grade levels together. 

“I always love seeing the kids come in and have a good time,” learning, innovation and design director Diane Main said. “When everybody comes in with the right spirit and they just want to have fun together, it’s always a good time.”