Harker journalism participates in JEA NorCal Media Day

Kristy Blackburn
Harker Journalism staff members and advisers pose for a photo in front of the Media Arts Center. 42 staff members attended the convention and participated in over 30 speaker sessions. (Provided by Kristy Blackburn)

PALO ALTO, Calif. – 42 Harker journalism students, Director of Journalism Whitney Huang and Talon Yearbook Adviser Kevin Oliver attended the annual Journalism Education Association (JEA) NorCal Media Day at Palo Alto High School on Saturday.

To begin the day, attendees gathered in the Media Arts Center Atrium. After a brief introduction to the event, students participated in a round of journalism-themed trivia. 

Students and faculty from 46 Bay Area schools joined the event, attending 71 different speaker sessions throughout the day. Topics ranged from publication critiques to the ins and outs of political and investigative reporting. Harker journalism students attended sessions such as “J-ism Is Training for Anything,” “From Gaza to Donetsk” and “Humans of [Your School],” presented by the Humans of Harker team. 

“I really enjoyed Harker’s presentation,” attendee and reporter Ashley Mo (10) said. “It was super fun to see the work I actually took part in, like making the article and interviews, actually being presented. It showed more of the process which I thought was amazing and just really fun.”

During the lunch break, Editor-in-Chief of The Oracle, Mountain View High School’s student news publication, Hanna Olson discussed the recent controversy surrounding student press censorship in their paper. In an interview conducted by Palo Alto High School’s Verde Magazine staff member Nadia Solberg, Hanna spoke about the school’s recent controversy surrounding student press censorship. 

“[My favorite thing about today] was definitely the speaker event at lunch,” attendee and Sports Columnist Gabe Sachse (11) said. “Since the interviewer and speaker knew each other, the interview was taken in such a conversational approach and it was really inspiring to see someone persevering for what they believe in.”

In the afternoon, students finished their last two sessions before departing for the day at 3 p.m.

“The most rewarding [event] for me is seeing our own students give the Humans of Harker presentation,” yearbook adviser Oliver said. “It’s very gratifying to see that we serve as a source of inspiration for other student journalists.”