Humans of Harker: Scaling new heights

Aaron Tiritoglu approaches life one step at a time

Aryana Bharali

“If there’s a certain route that I’m working on, I know I’m not going to get it immediately. If I want to challenge myself, I have to take time to slowly work on it and not expect perfection from the beginning. Rock climbing helps me think about life in terms of just chipping at it and not tackling everything head-on as a whole,” Aaron Tiritoglu (12) said.

With laser focus, Aaron Tiritoglu (12) locks his eyes on the next hold, a vibrant colored shape perched tantalizingly out of reach on the 12-foot wall. He carefully navigates the route that he has set out for himself to complete, challenging himself and paying close attention to his form with every move. Aaron takes his time on each climb, unafraid to scale the same route multiple times in order to achieve perfection. 

Aaron started rock climbing at the age of 11, following in his mother’s footsteps, and now trains at a local gym several times a week. For Aaron, rock climbing serves as a getaway from the rest of his life — a time when he can enjoy himself in the moment. 

“It feels like its own bubble — that’s the best way to put it,” Aaron said. “It’s relaxing in a sense that I get to let a bunch of energy out.”

Aaron accepts the fact that mastering a route does not come easily, and therefore gives himself time to make improvements after each attempt. He applies this method to life in general, approaching each task step by step.

“If there’s a certain route that I’m working on, I know I’m not going to get it immediately,” Aaron said. “If I want to challenge myself, I have to take time to slowly work on it and not expect perfection from the beginning. Rock climbing helps me think about life in terms of just chipping at it and not tackling everything head-on as a whole.”

As with many sports, Aaron frequently encounters mental setbacks while engaging in climbing. Although he sometimes lacks the motivation to go to the gym and practice climbing, he overcomes this struggle by thinking of the satisfaction that follows every climb.

“Sometimes it can be tough to find the motivation,” Aaron said. “I might not feel that strong that day, [but] I try to still push myself to get in there and work a little bit just to feel better once I get going.”

Fellow boulders at Aaron’s gym also boost his confidence when he needs a push to keep going. The friendships and relationships that he has formed with the community there contribute to his love for rock climbing.

“The people there are really nice,” Aaron said. “It’s a great community. Everyone’s really positive and uplifts each other. It’s the general tone of the community there that invites you and helps you believe in yourself more.”

The same people who push him to keep going are the ones cheering for him when he completes a difficult route. Their support adds to the feeling of gratification he experiences after each successful climb.

“It’s a really nice feeling if you’re working on a [climbing] project that you had and you have some friends climbing with you, and they’re cheering you on as you get it,” Aaron said. “And if it’s one that you’ve been working on for a while and you finally get it, and they’re cheering you on — it’s a really good feeling. That’s part of what makes climbing so fun.”

Fellow advisee and friend John Cracraft (12), who trained with Aaron at his gym last summer, observed how Aaron’s laid-back personality makes him fun to climb with. 

“My first impression was [that] he was very outgoing and fun-loving,” John said. “He enjoys capturing the attention of others.”

Another one of Aaron’s distinctive qualities is his ability to communicate with other people. When he sees others struggling, he uplifts them by cracking jokes.

Close friend Abhi Namala (12), who connected with Aaron in their junior year after playing video games together over the pandemic, admires the way Aaron raises other people’s spirits no matter the situation. 

“I would say if there’s anyone I really want to cheer up my mood, I’m going to Aaron,” Abhi said. “Aaron’s very lighthearted, and he’s able to make jokes in any situation. I think that’s a good quality, because I know that if I’m sad or anything, I’ll just talk to Aaron about it and he’ll automatically make me feel better.”

Aaron’s positivity extends into his academic life, where he makes an impact in the classroom through his intellect and curiosity about his surroundings. Upper school chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine, who taught Aaron in his sophomore year, reflects on Aaron’s contributions to the classroom.

“He’s a chill student who has a natural curiosity for the world, and it made me reflect on my own disposition as a high school student,” Irvine said. “Aaron was one of the few who, partly because of our connection, could count on actually following through and getting things done or being honest [about it] if that didn’t happen.”

Aaron’s relaxed and patient approach to life allows him to avoid feeling overwhelmed and instead focus on making steady progress within each task. Similar to rock climbing, where one must climb each step carefully in order to reach the top, Aaron applies this approach to his life. 

“Take things one step at a time,” Aaron said. “If you don’t get it the first time, keep going. Look for what you did wrong and make the next time better. Just keep going.”