Varsity girls’ volleyball beats Saratoga in four-set match

Divya+Kalidindi+%2811%29+jumps+from+the+back+row+to+take+one+of+her+many+swings+of+the+game.+She+tied+for+most+kills+during+the+match.+
Divya Kalidindi (11) jumps from the back row to take one of her many swings of the game. She tied for most kills during the match.

On Thursday, September 13, the Varsity girls’ volleyball team beat Saratoga High School in a four-set match at the Blackford gym.

The team started off strong, winning the first set with a score of 25-9. Despite a push from Saratoga, the Eagles stayed in control and won the second set 25-21. In the third set, missed serves and a few other errors, along with a strong comeback effort by the opposing team, led to a 24-26 loss and a forced fourth set. Despite the setback, the girls stayed tough and finished off the game with a 25-14 win.

“I thought we played pretty well. We came out great, and we held them to nine points in game one which was good,” Head Coach Theresa “Smitty” Smith said. “[We] were able to get everyone into play, which was great. [I] wasn’t so happy with game three, […] but I was really happy with the way they came back in game four.”

Offence was a key factor in this victory. Divya Kalidindi (11) and co-captain Shreya Dixit (10) led the team with 11 kills each, followed by Shannon Richardson (9) with 10. Divya also had the most service aces with seven, and Shreya had four solo blocks. Additionally, Doreene Kang (9) excelled at the net with three solo blocks and four assist blocks.

“I thought our offence was pretty good,” Shreya said. “Everyone did a really good job hitting today. [We] played the ball really well.”

Only four games into the season, the team has much more ahead of them and a lot of time to continue to improve their game, according to Smith.

“I want us to grow. […] The team is super young, so we want to just keep improving and working on the process instead of just trying to win games,” Smith said.  “[We’re] trying to get better every day.”

Both teams play again at home on Tuesday, September 18 against Immaculate Conception Academy in their first league game of the season. JV plays at 4:30 p.m., followed by Varsity at 5:45 p.m.