NEDC contest: JETS Advance

On Friday December 18, the Junior Engineering Technology Society (JETS) team qualified for semi-finals for the annual National Engineering Design Contest (NEDC). The team created a headset connected to a wheel chair for cell phone use.

Junior Isaac Madan found the contest on the JETS website over the summer, and approached Anthony Silk to set up a team to create a device that will assist a disable person to complete a job.

On December 23, Donna Yeager, a friend of upper school Spanish teacher Diana Moss, came in to try the prototype. Donna Yeager is a quadruple amputee. Moss mentioned to Anthony Silk (JETS Adviser) that she knew someone who was willing to test out the prototype. The team contacted her, and Yeager met with the team at the beginning of the school year.

“She came to talk to us and we noticed that it was difficult for her to use her cell phone,” Isaac said.

“[The team] has done all the work on their own. The research was theirs. The idea was theirs. It is amazing as we have never done this contest before. It is our first time,” Silk said.

After a month of brainstorming, the team built a prototype in two days and sent a research report. Having qualified, the team needs to perfect the device. To reach nationals, they must create a six minute video tape due in mid-January.

Yeager uses her foot to control the movement of the ear piece.

“It’s awesome. It will definitely enhance everything. I used to hold [my cell phone] in my toes on speaker,” she said.

Playing with the remote control and laughing, “No one can hear my conversations except me,” Yeager said.