News briefs: National Merit, biscuits and NSPA Photo Exchange

Irina Malyugina

Head of Upper School Butch Keller prepares a biscuit for students after school meeting last week, launching an initiative.

62 Harker seniors named National Merit Scholarship finalists

62 seniors were named National Merit Scholarship finalists. Students entered the contest by taking the PSAT/NMSQT® in October 2018 and received their scores in mid-December of the same year. 

Those who met the National Merit Scholarship Corporation’s program requirements were named as semifinalists last September. The finalists were selected after an application process that consisted of an essay and transcript submission.

“It’s nice to have the opportunity to participate in something that’s country-wide and to be recognized for something universal,” senior Jeffrey Fung, a finalist, said.

Student council cooks up biscuits and new sandwich station

Head of School Butch Keller dons his apron in a collaboration to create Carley’s Cafe, a food truck. The truck opens during office hours after each school meeting and features three types of biscuits: a ham, egg and cheese biscuit; an egg and cheese biscuit; and ‘The Eagle,’ a honey butter biscuit.

A soy butter, jelly and bread station was opened in Manzanita as well for students to make and eat after school.

NSPA launches Campaign 2020 Photo Exchange

The National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) launched their Campaign 2020 Photo Exchange, a database of student-produced photos of the 2020 national candidates and their campaigns, making them available free of charge to student journalists whose school is a member of NSPA.

Harker Journalism adviser Ellen Austin, along with six other high school and collegiate journalism advisers, helped lead the initiative last summer and fall.

Since launching the archive, student journalists from Harker and from programs across the nation have populated the archive with nearly 800 photos as of Feb. 27.