Volleyball teams to host Dig Pink fundraiser tomorrow

Irene Yuan

The varsity girls volleyball team huddles during a win against Mercy High School, San Francisco. At Dig Pink tomorrow, the freshman team will play Mercy High School Burlingame at 4 p.m., junior varsity at 5:30 p.m. and varsity at 6:30 p.m.

by Anna Vazhaeparambil and Aditya Singhvi

The upper school girls volleyball teams will be hosting their “Dig Pink” breast cancer fundraiser in the Athletic Center tomorrow during their matches against Mercy High School Burlingame. Money raised during the event will go towards Stage IV breast cancer research conducted by the Side-Out Foundation, an organization dedicated to spreading awareness and advancing cancer treatment through volleyball-sponsored clinical trials.

“All of us are touched by cancer at some point in our lives, and our volleyball team was hit especially hard last season when we lost the mother of one of my assistant coaches and the mother of one of our players,” head coach Theresa “Smitty” Smith said. “We hope that the Harker community will stand with us in support as we try to help our community at large.”

Students and faculty are encouraged to wear pink in support of the team tomorrow and attend the three matches, which begin at 4 p.m. for the freshmen, 5:30 p.m. for junior varsity and 6:30 p.m for varsity. In addition to charging a five dollar entrance fee, the teams will be selling various items, including t-shirts, scrunchies, bracelets and stickers in order to reach their fundraising goal of $500.  

Harker Aquila will also be posting live updates of the event throughout the evening at harkeraquila.com.