School meeting recap 10/16/ 18

Eric Fang

Science teachers Dr. Kate Schafer and Chris Spenner and former students talk about their experiences with the 2017 Human Ecology class, which will be offered again next summer. The summer 2019 class is open to all rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.

by Ryan Guan, Executive News Editor

Freshmen did not attend today’s school meeting, as they were listening to speeches given by their peers running for student council. The elections will be held on Thursday during lunch in the journalism room.

Eagle update presenters showed a clip of the Eagles scoring a touchdown using a trick play during the football game last Friday. Tennis’s senior night will be their game against Menlo tomorrow, while the volleyball senior night was yesterday at 6 p.m. A meeting for girls interested in basketball was yesterday at 1 p.m. in the team room, while chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine’s room hosted a meeting for girls interested in lacrosse yesterday at 1 p.m.

Science teachers Dr. Kate Schafer and Chris Spenner will be teaching the Human Ecology: Our Place In Nature course, which will take be taught in June 2019 in California and southeastern Alaska. Four students who took the course in 2017 spoke about their experiences. Rising freshmen, sophomores and juniors may take the course, and interested students should attend an information session in Spenner’s room tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.

The LIFE committee announced several workshops this month. Chemistry teacher Dr. Smriti Koodanjeri will host time management workshops in her classroom during B and D lunches from 1 to 1:30 p.m. Photography teacher Josh Martinez and history teacher Mark Janda hosted the first Male Wellness workshop in the Cyberloft yesterday, while academic dean Kelly Horan and Dr. Schafer will host the first Female Wellness workshop in room 511 in the RPAC tomorrow. English teacher Christopher Hurshman will host an Adulting 101 workshop in the Cyberloft on Oct. 24 during lunch. Schoology has a calendar of future workshop dates.

AP U.S. Government and Politics teacher Carol Green urged students to pre-register to vote if they are 16 or 17 and register to vote if they are 18 or older at registertovote.ca.gov by Oct. 22. Students can participate in a mock midterm on Thursday by going to Shah 402 anytime from 7:40 a.m. to 3:10 p.m., except for advisory time, to practice filling out a ballot.

Biology teacher Mike Pistacchi announced the fourth annual National Honor Society Service Fair on Nov. 12. Students can meet representatives from several local service organizations and sign up to volunteer. Students who want to represent an organization at the fair should contact Pistacchi.

TEDx representatives announced that their annual conference, including talks, corporate booths and a mentor luncheon, will take place Saturday. Students can buy tickets at tedx.harker.org.

Performing arts representatives announced that tickets for this year’s fall play, “Our Town”, are on sale during lunch in Manzanita. The three performances of the play are on Oct. 25, 26 and 27 at 7 p.m. “Our Town” will be the first play performed in the Patil Theater in the RPAC.