Alaska trip students present at first human ecology showcase

Jin Tuan

Haris Hosseini (11) and Haley Keller (12) present their book “Humans of Ecology: Our Place in Nature,” a collection of photographs and interviews of all the people they met on the trip. A total of 12 students presented at today’s human ecology showcase in Nichols Auditorium.

by Jin Tuan, Reporter

The 12 students who took the human ecology course taught by physics teacher Chris Spenner and biology teacher Dr. Kate Schafer last year and attended the Alaska trip last summer presented at the first human ecology showcase held Monday evening in Nichols Auditorium.

The students explored multiple viewpoints on the relationship between humans and nature. Their primary guide in Alaska, executive director of Inian Islands Institute Dr. Zachary Brown, also attended the session.

Parents and students were invited to first dine in Nichols Atrium while viewing the students’ projects posted around the walls and the running slide show of photos from the trip. At around, 6:15 p.m., the presentations began in the Nichols Auditorium with an introduction and welcome from Dr. Schafer.

Students Alex Lu (11), Anthony Shing (10), Alex Shing (10), Amla Rashingkar (10), Edwin Su (11), Grace Hajjar (10), Mitchell Kole (12), Haris Hosseini (11) and Haley Keller (12) presented their projects, all of which were either research oriented, creative-writing based or centered around photos and interviews. Mallory Millard (12) was absent from the showcase, but her video was featured at the end of the event.

At the end of the showcase, Dr. Schafer thanked event attendees for coming, leaving parents, friends and trip attendees to talk and catch up. The Alaska ecology trip is currently planned to take place every other year.