New ASB officers reflect on upcoming school year, extracurriculars and family

Harker Aquila sat down with next year’s ASB officers and discussed distinct features about themselves that help shape their techniques of interacting with the student body as leaders as well as their goals for what student council should achieve in the coming year.

Junior Eddie Shiang was voted to be next year’s ASB Vice President. Students voted in the candidates during lunch Thursday at the journalism room.

Junior Eddie Shiang, elected for next year’s ASB Vice President, is no stranger to the public eye. An avid singer and dancer, Eddie’s participation in Downbeat, the high school’s premier show choir group, has allowed him to form close relationships with upperclassmen, shaping his goals for enhancing next year’s student body experience.

“I definitely had some seniors who were mentors to me for my extracurricular activities as well as academics,” Eddie said. “I feel like the senior goodbye was a fitting way to pay tribute to them and it was just a really nice assembly that was fun for everyone so I thought it would be great to bring it back.”

Junior Sandip Nirmel was voted to be next year’s ASB President. Students voted in the candidates during lunch Thursday at the journalism room.

Having been class president for all three years of high school, Sandip Nirmel (11) is well-versed in the skills required to be ASB president for the 2016-2017 school year. In particular, Sandip thrives in planning and even enjoys creating innovative organizing techniques.

“I’m super organized to the point that it’s kind of freaky how organized I am,” Sandip said. “I have these elaborate calendars and reminder systems. I figure out really creative ways to make myself remember stuff. I think it’s almost like OCD. I feel like I really need to know what’s happening.”

Junior Ray Song was voted to be next year’s ASB Treasurer. Students voted in the candidates during lunch Thursday at the journalism room.

Incumbent ASB treasurer Ray Song (11) returns for a second year on ASB council. With a year of prior experience, Ray has set his goals for next year come directly from what he has seen participating in this year’s council.

“I guess for treasurer it’s more on the executive end, so I will make sure first of all you’ll accomplish all your tasks really well, and I will improve the communication between ASB and the administration, and between the ASB and the student body,” said Ray.

In addition, Ray’s four-year-old sister has affected how he interacts with the rest of the student body.
“Because my sister is still in China, I have so much care that I want to instill in my sister, but I can’t, so I transform that care into other people around me.”

Junior Alexander Lam was voted to be next year’s ASB Secretary. Students voted in the candidates during lunch Thursday at the journalism room.

Alexander Lam’s (11) experience with public speaking does not stop at making speeches in front of his class during voting season or the weekly announcements at class meetings. Aside from being junior class secretary, Alexander is an active participant in the speech and debate program at Harker.

“I’m an avid debater, and I’ve spent a lot of my high school career on the national circuit, so that’s definitely one of our largest passions,” Alex said. “I think my experience in debate has made me more articulate, so I can more clearly express my ideas to the administration and has helped me communicate better.”