Upper school DECA chapter hosts club month

DECA+officers+hand+out+bowls+of+ice+cream+at+last+year%27s+ice+cream+social.+DECA+month+will+continue+throughout+November.+

DECA officers hand out bowls of ice cream at last year's ice cream social. DECA month will continue throughout November.

Sahana Srinivasan

Sahana Srinivasan

Sahana Srinivasan

by Heidi Zhang, Reporter

The upper school DECA chapter will host its club month throughout November in order to promote their club.

DECA educates students on the pillars of marketing, management, hospitality, and finance in over 5,000 high school chapters across the nation.

“Over 200,000 students are a part of DECA throughout the world, and each chapter at all the different schools does something different for DECA month,” business and entrepreneurship advisor Juston Glass said.

This month will entail numerous community service events and fundraisers, including an ice cream social, a game of capture the flag (in partnership with the spirit club), and a Hunger Games movie night. Students will play in the Hoops and Scoops basketball game to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Last year’s Hoops and Scoops game raised about $400.

“Hoops and Scoops is a faculty and student basketball game where we sold ice cream and the ice cream went directly to MDA,” said Shannon Hong (12). “It’s a partnership between DECA and MDA that happens nationally, but we did it on a chapter basis.”

Proceeds from Hoops and Scoops and the movie night will go directly to charity, while money from the ice cream social sales will be split between the school and other organizations. 

Director of Written Events and Presentations Alexander Mo (11) helped prepare this year’s activities and looks forward to the capture the flag fundraiser.

“I’m really excited about Harker DECA’s new capture the flag fundraiser because it will continue to spread DECA’s involvement in community service efforts,” he said. “The [Public Relations] team has been working extremely hard for the past month to plan all the events by communicating with organizations both on and off campus.”

“We have a bad connotation about us throughout the high school, and I think it’s good to let people know that we do help contribute to the community,” Director of Examinations Lucas Wang (11) said. “We have our Key Clubs, we have our Interact Clubs, but DECA as a business club also helps the community.”

The next event for DECA members is the LACE (Leadership and Competitive Excellence) conference, which is the first non-competitive conference for newcomers to learn about the basics of DECA. LACE will take place in DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose from Nov.13 to 15.