Language teachers leave positions for upcoming school year

Upper School Latin Teacher John Hawley plans on retiring at the end of this school year. He will act as a substitute teacher in the future.

Raveena Kapatkar

Upper School Spanish Teacher Daniela Rozanes and Latin Teacher John Hawley have announced that they will not be returning to their positions in the upcoming 2015-2016 school year.

Rozanes has been teaching at the Upper School since 2008 and is planning to move to Florida for familial reasons.

“My grandmother is [in] Florida,” she said. “My parents live in Boston, but they will retire in a couple of years, and Florida is the Mecca for all the old people in the east coast. So seeing that a lot of our family is there, we think it is the right moment to go.”

She plans to continue teaching at an independent school in Florida, similar to Harker, but will miss the Upper School’s environment.

“It will be very hard for me to get used to a new community after Harker,” she said. “It is a great community [here], [and] I will miss the students.”

Unlike Rozanes, who plans to continue teaching, Hawley will retire next year. He reflected on his most memorable moments at the Upper School.

“Probably the most wonderful things are the wonderful interactions with students, and it is not a one time thing, it’s all the time,” he said. “And for the most part the students here at Harker are very kind and generous and thoughtful and that is a part [of my most memorable moments] as well.”

Hawley plans on visiting his family next year, but will act as a substitute teacher for the Upper School when necessary. Both of Hawley’s daughters graduated from the Upper School.

Other teachers who have left include Computer Science Teacher Richard Page, who departed from Upper School at the end of March, and English Teacher Alexandra Rosenboom, who left for maternity leave at the end of March and will not return to the Upper School next year, as she will be teaching at The Athenian School, located in Danville.

Rosenboom and her husband live in Oakland, so teaching at The Athenian School will cut down her commute by about 30-60 minutes each way. She will be teaching English and History to freshmen, juniors and seniors.

Mathematics Teacher Mary Mortlock, History Teacher Ray Fowler, Counselor Caroline O’Sullivan and Security and Traffic Officer Emily Manigo also plan on retiring for the upcoming 2015-2016 school year.

The original version of this piece, which was published in the pages of the Winged Post, incorrectly said that Alexandra Rosenboom was retiring to take care of her children. Rosenboom is retiring for the reasons mentioned above.