First week of the second semester begins

Victor Shin (9) and Brandon Mo (9) discuss homework at a table in front of Manzanita Hall. Students start the second semester off strong by working hard.

Alexander Wang

Students implement new classes and shift schedules with the beginning of a new semester of high school. While the semester presents a great deal of change for some students, it has a minimal impact on others.

The new semester began after a three day weekend for Martin Luther King, Jr. day, allowing students to recuperate from the final days of the first semester.

“Last week was very stressful because it was the last week of semester one, and it was my last chance to raise my grades,” Victor Shin (9) said.

Grades have been finalized for the first semester and will soon be available for student and parent access on PCR. The grades were finalized at 8 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Adrian Chu (9) works on his computer in the library. Students use the study room at the back of the library for quiet study.
Alexander Wang

The new semester has brought some changes in students’ schedules and changed the composure of students in classes..

“Some of my friends moved out of my lunch period,” sophomore Joyce Zhao said.

For students who have selected single-semester courses, their schedules have changed to reflect the new courses.

“I got to start my second semester courses and they’re very fun,” senior Leon Chin said. “I get to start my last semester of high school.”

As seniors enter their final semester of high school, the final stretch before graduation on May 23, juniors start college counseling during their Tuesday Extra Help periods.

“I’ve basically gotten all my Tuesday extra help [periods] stripped from me. I had my first session today,” Michael Zhao (11) said. “I feel excited to start the process, but I feel a bit apprehensive.”

Harry Xu (12) works in the library along with many other students who are there to work on homework and study.
Alexander Wang

Although there are changes in schedules, Michael feels that course load is more or less the same. Most students, like Michael, will continue their year-long classes while seniors like Harry Xu (12) will take on new courses.

“There’s the obvious different courses because, as a senior, you have more elective choices,” Harry said. “These have caused me to change periods. I’m meeting new people and trying a new course, which is more like college course level.”

Students still have the opportunity to change their schedules and have until the end of next week to change or drop any classes.