Junior class white water rafts for the first time ever

For the first time ever, juniors rafted through the South Fork of the American River an hour away from Sacramento with O.A.R.S., a rafting company, for their class trip on Thursday.

Students loaded the buses at 6:15 a.m. for a three and a half hour drive. Juniors were divided into five groups with each group consisting of around four advisories. Each group boarded one bus and rafted together, one advisory to a raft.

“We really got to enjoy each other’s company with no phones and no distractions in such a ridiculously beautiful, stunning setting,” Shreya Sunkara (11) said.

Once the busses arrived, students stayed in their groups and headed to a campground for lunch. After lunch, an O.A.R.S. adviser walked students through the various safety tips of rafting and what to do in case of an emergency.

“I think my favorite part of the trip was experiencing something I would never have thought of the doing with all my friends,” Sanil Rajput (11) said. “While I have a huge fear of waters in general, the presence of all my buddies helped this fear evaporate, and I never thought about that once when I jumped into the river.”

Each rafting group traversed a trip of 12 miles going through Class I, II, and III rapids. All rapids have a classification to identify the intensity of the rapid. Class I rapids are easy, Class II rapids are novice, and Class III rapids are intermediate. Some examples of these rapids are Fowler’s Rock, Satan’s Cesspool, and Hospital Bar.

“My favorite part was when my friend and I fell out of the raft during the rapids,” Mary Najibi (11) said. “It was scary at first but then really fun.”

Although many students went on the trip, many decided not to come because of the early arrival time.

“I didn’t feel up for a 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. trip,” said Alex Sikand, a student who did not go. “I’d have to get up at 4:45 to make it to school on time.”

However, towards the end of the trip, students were rushed back onto the busses and could not have dinner because of prior time delays.

“There were smiles galore,” Class of 2016 Dean Matthew Harley said. “Everyone I asked said they had a fantastic time and that future junior classes should definitely do this trip.”

The final class trip for the Class of 2016 will be the Senior Class Trip to Laguna Beach in May of 2016.