Editorial: Embracing our First Amendment freedoms

What do an Iowa girl who was suspended from her school in 1965 for wearing a black armband to protest the Vietnam war and a Japanese-American man who questioned the legality of internment camps in the Supreme Court in 1944 have in common? They were both landmark figures involving First Amendment freedoms that we, as students and as citizens, enjoy today.

During today’s assembly, we will hear their stories. Mary Beth Tinker, Fred Korematsu’s daughter Karen Korematsu, and Frank LoMonte, executive director of the Student Press Law Center (SPLC), will each speak about the facets of the First Amendment.

If you ask students about the First Amendment, most will spew back a contrived response about freedom of speech or textbook verbatim that they memorized for a U.S. History test. If you ask them about how the amendment impacts them as students, however, most will respond with blank stares. In an informal poll of 125 students conducted by The Winged Post, 87.2 percent of students were unable to list the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (speech, press, religion, assembly, and petition).

While 90 percent of our student body expressed the desire to have the same First Amendment rights as adults in another survey, the fact that approximately the same percentage of us do not know what that entails suggests that perhaps we should be more aware of our right to free expression.

The 45 words that make up our First Amendment rights are empowering. Understanding what defines our independence and backs our individuality is a blessing. Taking advantage of our rights without full understanding of their meaning, however, is disrespectful of the freedom of expression that we as teenagers work so hard to preserve.

Students in California go to school every day under the protection of California Education Code 48907, which provides the highest degree of free expression legislation for any student in the U.S.

These protections, however, may have to be fought for.

Following the suicide of Saratoga High School student Audrie Pott last year, the editors of The Saratoga Falcon, the school’s newspaper, fought administrative and community pushback after publishing a story refuting the original claim that half-naked photos of Pott went viral. Through careful reporting, they discovered that roughly 10 students saw the photos, not the majority of the student body.

Arguably as impressive as the story itself was the way the editors handled the aftermath. Under the guidance of a media attorney, they cited the California Shield Law to defy the Pott family lawyer’s subpoena and protect the anonymity of their sources. Her death is tragic. But the courage and professionalism with which these student journalists handled the situation was inspiring: they stood behind their reporting, their sources, and ultimately, their story.
They spoke about their experiences alongside Tinker, Korematsu, and LoMonte at Monta Vista High School on Wednesday.
Although we are a private school, and thus, not directly protected under 48907, our administration chooses to support our creativity, expression, and individuality.

“I think that it’s our responsibility as a school to have the kind of environment where students learn to be able to express their voices and do so in a way that’s still constructive and respectful,” head of school Christopher Nikoloff said.

Our artists are able to communicate their independent ideas through their work. Our literary aficionados have access to books that are commonly banned elsewhere. Our actors have the ability to take on roles that could be considered controversial at other schools. Our journalism publications are able to determine content independently.

So when you’re walking to today’s assembly, take a minute to appreciate the art on the walls in Main. When you’re sitting in the library, revel in unrestricted reading. And while you’re reading the words in the student newspaper, take pride that you get to read this content unfiltered and raw.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on April 4, 2014.