HOSCARS: Facing your inner fears

Senior Erik Andersen enthralls audiences with his intricately difficult juggling performance. Throughout his entire act, nobody could take their eyes off him.

Leaning on the wall with a camera pressed against my eye, I stared at the performers of HOSCARS, absolutely mesmerized. A twinge of regret found its way into the pit of my stomach: I could be performing right now, if only I had enough nerve.

It’s not that I haven’t performed before. I have performance experience but not in the most conventional way. As someone who has been involved in music for nearly a decade, performing should feel like second nature at this point.

Like almost all people, I fear judgement and am a victim of stage fright. The mere thought of standing up on stage in front of the entire school–all eyes on me–sends shivers down my spine. I simply do not have the guts to subject myself to undivided attention.

With each consecutive act’s passing, my disappointment in myself intensified. Right now, as I am writing this piece, I could literally kick myself for being such a coward.

If I were to perform, what’s the worst thing that could possibly happen? Someone might mock me? I might sing a note off tune? A hurricane could hit and sweep me off the stage, ending my life in the process?

I might not perform at the HOSCARS during my entire time as a student at this school. Nevertheless, my possible performance, or lack thereof, is in my control, as hard as it may be for me to admit.

While it’s perfectly acceptable to be scared, it’s definitely not acceptable to let fear dictate our lives. Fear, especially that of inadequacy, tends to stop us from doing what we truly want to do; fear certainly sabotaged me today. We have to decide that we want to do things more than we are afraid of doing those things. Today, I regret not wanting to perform badly enough to overcome my ever-present fear of being onstage.

Congratulations to all of those who confronted their fears and showcased their talents at HOSCARS today. You were all amazing and incredibly inspiring. I can only hope to acquire half of your confidence by the time next year’s HOSCARS rolls around.