Lacrosse suffers nail-biting defeat in non-league match

Junior Julia Fink fights for the ball against an opponent during a non-league game. The Eagles suffered a close loss of 7-9 against Pioneer High School on Thursday, February 28.

As the sun set and the sky darkened over Davis Field today, the girls Varsity lacrosse team experienced its first loss of the season against Pioneer High School with an overall score of 7-9.

The Eagles began the game at a 5-3 lead with around seven minutes left in the first half. However, the Mustangs drove past the Eagles’ defense and scored two goals to tie the game by the end of the first half.

After halftime pep talks by the coaches on both teams, the second half progressed with neither team taking the lead, remaining the score at 6-6. The Eagles then made a goal with 12 minutes left of the game, advancing to 7-6. The Mustangs, however, scored three goals in a row in under 10 minutes to win the game.

Some highlights included consistent Eagle offense, playing much of the game on the opponent’s side of the field, and aggressive play by Michelle Douglas (12), Tiphaine Delepine (12), Wendy Shwe (12), and Hannah Bollar (10).

Head Coach Andrew Irvine accepted the team’s close loss to Pioneer, stating that losing by two points against an opponent who “is traditionally above [the team’s] level” is adequate.

As the sole captain, Michelle had similar perspectives on the game. In previous years, the team had lost to Pioneer by a significant number of points, so the two-point loss signals improvement in the team’s chemistry and skill.

“[The score] just shows that we have grown as a team, that our returning players have gotten better, and that our new players have been picking the sport up quickly. We’ve never seen anything like before, especially in a non-league game,” she said, reflecting on the tough losses in previous years.

Tiphaine believes the game is just the beginning of a successful season.

“I was really impressed with our team’s performance because Pioneer is in the league above us. We didn’t let that stop us and ended up putting up a really good fight,” she said.

Irvine mentioned that the lack of a Junior Varsity team poses difficulties such as introducing amateur players to the sport at a Varsity level. As a result, he has to coach both experienced and inexperienced players in the team.

“Right now, the goal is to make sure our starting team gets back in the groove and to help our new players learn how to play lacrosse,” he said.

The Eagles will compete at Sacred Heart Prep tomorrow at 4 p.m.