The reality of change

“Making safe changes like this now will help you when you have to make more important changes in the future.”

He has a point. And it’ll always grow back, right? Some part of me knew all of this was true, so, nervously, I consented. A few snips later and it was gone; two years time and eight inches.

It was just a hair cut, and I was going for something different, so why was this change making me feel so different, so lacking? I realized after the fact that it was more than just a new look; it was letting go of something that had been so ‘me’ for years. Even just this small change, something that’s not the least bit life-changing, seemed so unsettling.

Looking back, I realize that the fear of change has affected many of my decisions. Back in eighth grade, I had to choose which high school I was going to attend in the fall, which, at the time, was one of the biggest decisions I had to make. Was I going to stick with what I had known for nine years or consider the possibility of new experiences, new friends, and an entirely new place?

Ultimately, I don’t regret the choice I made; I regret how I made it. I compared a few pros and cons of my two options, but in the back of my mind, I knew I was never going to actually leave the school where I had been so comfortable for so long. I recognize now that I was too terrified of going to an unfamiliar school to impartially consider them side-by-side.

When I started writing this, I wanted to talk about how change is a good thing and it helps you grow as a person; all the stuff you’ve heard way too many times. The more I thought about it, however, I realized that change can actually be really, really hard.

Of course, I’ve had some of my own exceptions to this: trying new things, meeting new people, getting my braces off, and learning to drive. These, along with many others, have been fairly simple changes, but they have all helped shape my current lifestyle.

Regardless of the possible benefits, the fear of change complicating or worsening things, more often than not, makes me want to avoid even the slightest thought of it. Why change something that’s already good, right?

I guess that’s the reality of it; change can be good or bad, but in order to ever be able to realize what we may be missing or possibly change for the better, we have to be brave enough to put our fears behind us and jump into what can seem like the daunting unknown.