Varsity boys basketball defeats Priory 68-45

Wei Buchsteiner (11) shoots a free throw during Friday’s game. Because of the many fouls called, both teams had many opportunities for free throws throughout the game.

Enthusiastic fans filled the Blackford gym on Friday as the Varsity boys basketball team defeated Priory 68-45, in what Head Coach Butch Keller said was “probably the hardest 23 point win I’ve ever coached.”

The team remained ahead throughout the entire game, increasing its lead as the match went on. At the end of the first half, the team only had an eight-point lead, 30-22, but during the second half, the players’ energy increased, leading them to their eventual victory.

“We had strong determination, were able to tire out the other team, and take control in the second half and that helped us prevail to a great victory,” Eric Holt (10) said.

The referees frequently called arguable reaching fouls, irritating several fans and members of the team. Although the many turnovers caused the game to not be the most technically clean, the boys’ energy level reached a new level.

“It was an ugly game, but I liked the energy of our team,” Keller said. “I thought we had gone to another plateau as far as energy and enthusiasm.”

The crowd also contributed to the exuberant atmosphere, which proved to be beneficial to the players, as it helped enhance their game.

“The energy from the bench and the crowd both affected us on the court because it made us want to play harder and do better,” co-captain William Deng (11) said.

The team’s next home game is Friday, January 18, against Crystal Springs Uplands at 6 p.m.