Spirit Week Day 2: Students and teachers dress as “Tacky Tourists,” battle in trivia game

Upper+School+Math+teacher+Caren+Furtado+hosts+the+Are+You+Smarter+Than+a+Teacher+Event+at+lunch+on+Tuesday.+Participants+were+asked+questions+like+%E2%80%9CWhich+college+has+a+Squirrel+Club%3F%E2%80%9D+and+%E2%80%9CWhat+is+Lord+Voldemort%E2%80%99s+real+name%3F%E2%80%9D+
Claire Bauschlicher
Upper School Math teacher Caren Furtado hosts the “Are You Smarter Than a Teacher” Event at lunch on Tuesday. Participants were asked questions like “Which college has a Squirrel Club?” and “What is Lord Voldemort’s real name?”

Upper school students competed against teachers in a trivia-style competition during Tuesday lunch and dressed up according to a “Tacky Tourist” theme to mark the second day of Spirit Week.

The trivia game, titled “Are You Smarter Than A Teacher?,” took place outside of Manzanita. Upper school mathematics teacher Caren Furtado hosted the game, challenging players to answer questions on various topics, like “Which college has a Squirrel Club?” and “What is Lord Voldemort’s real name?” The competitor who buzzed in with the correct answer first won a point for their team — either “Students” or “Teachers” — and a packet of Smarties candy as a prize. 

Upper school English teacher Beth Wahl, upper school physics and science research teacher Chris Spenner and upper school history and social science teacher James Tate each competed against several student volunteers to claim points for the teacher team. Many of the trivia audience members enjoyed the fun questions and Furtado’s lively commentary.

“I was nearby and joined to watch the performance because the host was very entertaining,” David Tang (9) said. “I thought she did a great job. If the host is the same [next year], I’d like to participate.”

Arjun Moogimane (12) and other members of Harker Spirit Leadership Team start planning Spirit Week activities like today’s “Are You Smarter Than A Teacher?” game in January. The team comes together to brainstorm spirit activity ideas and decide which ideas are viable. 

“We have a community events committee,” Arjun said. “This is a community events thing since it’s not for spirit [points], so that committee came up with it. Some of our underclassmen would have come up with the idea. We also have the Lego building contest coming up.” 

In addition to the “Are You Smarter Than A Teacher?” activity, the day’s Spirit Week celebrations included dressing up to the theme of “Tacky Tourist.” Students who dressed according to the theme, sporting accessories associated with sightseeing such as sunglasses or fanny packs, could check in with HSLT representatives at a table outside Manzanita and earn spirit points for their grade level.

Many students believe that Spirit Week brings a sense of fun to Harker’s often academically consumed environment. The comical outfits and the entertaining spirit events give students a chance to take the time for themselves.

“I love the people who make the spirit rallies and events more enjoyable,” Trisha Iyer (12) said. “Because [the rallies] are a labor of love, I think the people make them quite enjoyable. I also love when the teachers dress up as tacky tourists, I think it’s really hilarious and entertaining.”

Alison Yang and Katerina Matta