Film Club prepares for production with screenplay read-through

Mendy Mao
Film club producer Ethan Guan (11) and main actor Iris Fu (12) read out the film’s screenplay on March 5. “It was a very low-stakes environment and we were just having fun with the script,” Iris said.

Cast and crew of Film Club’s short film “And I’ll Do It Again” met for a table read of the screenplay during long lunch on March 5 in Graduate’s Grove. 

Director and screenplay writer Sophie Pellet (10) introduced herself before welcoming everyone to production. After introductions from producer Ethan Guan (11), lead actor Iris Fu (12), director of photography Avayna Glass (11), boom operator Hannah Levanon (11) and assistant director Mendy Mao (10), the crew started reading out the screenplay together.

The short film revolves around a teenage boy named Max who gradually realizes how lonely he is. The film will be mostly silent, with Max’s emotional journey conveyed through strong body language. Iris, who will play Max, looks forward to exploring the facets of their character. 

“The read through was fun and I enjoyed getting to know people,” Iris said. “Max is going through something, and it’s hard for me to empathize with him because I just don’t like him very much as a person. I have to do some work with getting to know [Max] and finding some motivations there.”

After her screenplay was selected for production on Nov. 27, Sophie began editing it and planning where to shoot. Film club also received video auditions until Jan. 27 and crew interest emails until Feb. 18. 

Hannah, who applied to work backstage, appreciates the “fun experience” of operating technology behind the scenes, which is why she joined the crew. She finds that adjusting light and sound can go a long way towards clarifying actors’ emotions.

“Using photography and using certain effects can really help get the emotions across,” Hannah said. “It’s really magical to be able to work behind the scenes and be able to help out in such a way.”

Director Sophie Pellet (10) discusses her screenplay “And I’ll Do It Again” with producer Ethan Guan (11) and lead actor Iris Fu (12) on March 5. “[I want to] be able to manage people, be able to communicate and express my vision for this film,” Sophie said. (Mendy Mao)
Members of the crew filled in for the parts of other actors who were not at the meeting. After the table read, film strategic members Ethan, Sophie and Mendy discussed the logistics of production and key dates.

Sophie enjoyed the passion of the crew and anticipates that shooting will begin in late March and take a few weeks. Editing will take a month before the film is ready for release.

“My favorite part was doing the table read, because the actors really started getting into it, and they actually started acting,” Sophie said. “It was just a fun time. Now we’re going to be figuring out the exact locations for some of our scenes. After that, we’re pretty much ready to roll.”