Humans of Harker: Tackling challenges through teamwork

Kevin Bettencourt’s leadership extends from football to music
“What I like about every day football would probably be the team and brotherhood that comes with it, and the idea that everyone’s out there getting better together. Football really allows you to see your progress. I like the idea that you get to do that with your teammates,” Kevin Bettencourt (12) said.
(Brandon Zau)

As the clock counts down, just a few seconds remain in the first half of the 2022 Homecoming game. The football team prepares for the last play at dusk, and Kevin Bettencourt (12) readies himself, sprints down the field and tackles a player on the opposing team right in front of Harker’s student section. The crowd roars with cheers in response to the play, making the team’s excitement even more palpable. They huddle around Kevin — cementing the moment under the bright lights of Davis Field. 

Kevin’s interest in football started early on in lower school, but his passion grew when he started to play flag football and he quickly realized that it was his favorite sport. While continuing to learn more about the technicality of the sport, Kevin’s love for football increased more as he became more involved with its different components of coordination and strength.

“I always liked the physicality of football,” Kevin said. “Once I learned how the sport actually worked and found a team that I liked, it became that much better. I enjoyed it that much more and then when I finally got the chance to play flag football, it confirmed it right then and there.”

Because of Kevin’s experience with football, he often plays in more challenging positions such as left guard and nose tackle, allowing him to take on a mentorship role in the team. Through the team’s close and welcoming environment, Kevin finds opportunities to use the lessons he learned through football to help his teammates.

“What I like about every day football would probably be the team and brotherhood that comes with it, and the idea that everyone’s out there getting better together,” Kevin said. “Football really allows you to see your progress. When you start off, and you seriously put time and effort into it, you can really see the improvement and showcase it. I like the idea that you get to do that with your teammates.”

Not only do Kevin’s teammates appreciate his kindness and mentorship, but also his friends. Close friend Kai Stinson (12) described Kevin’s lighthearted and welcoming attitude as one of the factors that helped them grow their friendship. For Kai, Kevin’s relaxed and caring attitude especially stood out to him when they first met. 

“He’s strong, definitely in more ways than one, emotionally and physically,” Kai said. “He’s very caring, a good listener, funny, and chill. Kevin is a good dude.”

Kevin’s determined attitude towards his passions also reveals his commitment to his classes. Like his teammates and friends, Kevin’s classmates appreciate his helpful attitude. Upper school math teacher Caren Furtado remarked on Kevin’s maturity and its positive effect on the class.

“He has this air of confidence about him where he’s not afraid to ask questions,” Furtado said. “That’s really amazing in a classroom because he makes other people less afraid of asking questions. He brings a sense of comfort to everyone.”

Kevin’s dedication to improving also manifests through his time as a trumpet player in Jazz Band. Despite having little experience playing trumpet when he started in Jazz Band in 10th grade, Kevin’s love for music motivated him to learn a new instrument. Although his role in Jazz Band differs from football, both serve as a way for Kevin to connect with others and as a source of joy.

“Music and sports have impacted my life in the most positive way I can imagine possible,” Kevin said. “Especially being at Harker as an academically strong school, music and sports are my best outlets and are always something to look forward to.”

Kevin’s closeness with his friends and family motivates him to do better in all areas of his life. His siblings serve as role models for him and as people who he can look up to and feel motivated by.

“There’s a huge age gap between the three of us,” Kevin said. “They’re a lot older than me and they’ve been through a lot more, so I’ve always had them to look up to and help me out or talk to about anything. They’ve always been there.”

Kevin’s smile and kindness bring a warm energy to every situation, which close friend Kuga Pence (12) also noted. His empathy and down-to-earth nature helped grow his friendship with Kuga, who appreciates Kevin’s genuine approach to all aspects of life.

“Kevin’s a very loving person,” Kuga said. “He makes sure that his love is known. He’s a very good listener, but that’s one trait about him that I appreciate. He’s always down to listen to what you have to say about anything you’re going through. He’s very empathetic.”