Humans of Harker: Network of love

Alena Suleiman shares her experiences through art and journalism
“Art pulls out your most intrinsic values, because these things will inevitably come out as you’re thinking and creating. When I’m trying to start a new project, I will think, ‘What is really important to me? What do I want to show other people? How can I express this in a way that is both visually engaging but also unique?’” Alena Suleiman (12) said. (Alison Yang)

PVC pipes. Old keyboards. Chicken wire. These often forgotten items inspire senior Alena Suleiman’s (12) art. From bending wooden skewers into rings connected by iridescent threads, to repurposing peeling tree bark as a symbol for human skin, she transforms everyday objects into pieces that carry universal themes and spark new conversations. 

Alena’s venture into unconventional mediums began in ninth grade when she joined a new art studio. Putting away pen, watercolor and oil paints, she developed an eye for recognizing potential in materials that might otherwise go unnoticed. For Alena, though, shaping these materials into aesthetic compositions represents only one part of the artistic process. It’s the reflections that her pieces inspire, about both herself and others, that she finds most meaningful.

“Art pulls out your most intrinsic values, because these things will inevitably come out as you’re thinking and creating,” Alena said. “When I’m trying to start a new project, I will think, ‘What is really important to me? What do I want to show other people? How can I express this in a way that is both visually engaging but also unique?’”

The idea of repurposing existing ideas and materials to share deeper messages extends to Alena’s work in journalism. Initially joining journalism as an outlet during the pandemic, she discovered her identity as a “creative storyteller,” using writing, photography and multimedia to bring a fresh perspective to popular topics. 

“Without journalism, I would not have the confidence to show my own voice through art,” Alena said. “And without art, I would not have this thought process of what I want to write about in journalism. The two are very much linked, and both have been so influential on my high school growth.”

Ananya Sriram (12), who bonded with Alena through Spanish classes and journalism, admires Alena’s ability to find excitement in ordinary moments and extend this energy to the people around her, whether she’s taking a challenging class or leading a journalism meeting after a long day of school. Ananya attributes Alena’s enthusiasm to her self awareness and maturity. 

“Alena very much embodies positivity, and a lot of that is because she understands herself really well,” Ananya said. “She knows her boundaries and her limits. She knows her emotions and understands how to deal with them.” 

While she aims to cultivate an environment of love and gratitude as a leader, Alena also appreciates the encouragement she receives from others in journalism. The collaborative nature of crafting pieces from pitch to publish gives Alena opportunities to interact and bond with each member of the journalism staff.

“I’m very grateful to journalism because it provides this community that is so incredibly supportive,” Alena said. “It’s nothing like any other community I’ve ever been in because everyone is pursuing their own interests and passions, but we’re still equally supportive. We’re still a whole team and a family.”

Sister Alysa Suleiman (‘22) describes how Alena fosters a similar sense of community at home, whether it’s suggesting a new restaurant to visit together or motivating her family members to be the best versions of themselves. While Alysa previously focused on serving as a role model for Alena, over the years, she’s come to look to her younger sister for guidance and support. 

“She has a sense of calmness and self confidence that I think is very unique to her,” Alysa said. “Sometimes when I feel a little bit anxious, I’ll talk to Alena, and she helps me remind myself that nothing’s too deep. It’s nice that we can both let our guards down at times, take different things from each other and give different things to each other.”

Recognizing the affection she has received from her family as shaping her openness to expressing her emotions, Alena sees love as contagious. By pursuing activities and connecting with people who bring more happiness into her life, Alena hopes to radiate care and positivity to those around her.

“You must love everything you’re doing in order to be happy, and you must love the people who are allowing you to do everything that you want to do,” Alena said. “In my childhood, I had an abundance of love from my parents, my sister, my grandma and my grandpa. Those years of intense love and appreciation that I got from them — I’m now able to give love freely.”

Upper school English teacher Brigid Miller, who taught Alena in her Honors English Literature and Graphic Narratives classes, noted how Alena’s authenticity not only shifts class discussions to more complex ideas but also sets a positive example for her classmates. From Miller’s perspective, Alena is “the best kind of student to teach” because of her willingness to express her ideas without worrying about others’ judgments.

“Displaying that confidence, sharing her insights and being willing to be vulnerable in the classroom, I felt like other people could take note from that,” Miller said. “She’s a superstar. It’s nothing but positivity when I think of her.” 

As an artist and storyteller, Alena weaves together individual experiences into universal narratives. At home and school, she brings people together and inspires new exchanges. Through it all, Alena shows that one person’s impact can extend far beyond herself. 

“I feel like I can use my art as a vessel for something larger than me,” Alena said. “It’s not just drawing from my own experiences anymore, but pulling from this collective consciousness of shared human experience.”