Humans of Harker: Deriving the lightbulb moment

Aniketh Tummala leaves a legacy of laughter and learning
Olivia Xu
“I discovered that physics is a lot more conceptual. It’s not so much about the equations but more so, ‘Can you understand what’s going on in the problem?’ For the longest time, something I struggled with was just trying to plug in equations and not really getting anywhere, but a teacher of mine made me realize that it’s more about seeing the solution than just plugging in numbers,” Aniketh Tummala (12) said.

It’s 6:30 p.m. The upper school campus is almost completely empty, but a few students remain in the library as they work through the night, their faces illuminated only by the soft glow of their laptop screens and the harsh glare of the lights above them. With the inaugural Harker Physics Invitational looming on the horizon, Aniketh Tummala (12) finds himself in a race against time. 

Realizing at the eleventh hour that he needs to elevate the test’s difficulty, Aniketh decides to completely rewrite the problems. The competition kicks off the very next day, and Aniketh is determined to ensure an experience both engaging and challenging for the participants.

The world of physics has enthralled Aniketh ever since middle school, and he strives to share the sense of wonder he feels when solving a problem with others. In particular, he wishes people to appreciate the beauty in the complexity of physics rather than unfairly dismiss the science as nothing more than formula memorization.

“I discovered that physics is a lot more conceptual,” Aniketh said. “It’s not so much about the equations but more so, ‘Can you understand what’s going on in the problem?’ For the longest time, something I struggled with was just trying to plug in equations and not really getting anywhere, but a teacher of mine made me realize that it’s more about seeing the solution than just plugging in numbers.” 

For Aniketh, physics competitions provide an avenue to expand his love of physics by exploring topics outside the school curriculum. Although Aniketh had competed in other olympiad-style competitions in the past, writing original problems was a new adventure. From writing problems to inviting speakers to managing logistics, organizing HPhI was one of his first leadership experiences. 

“You’re going through the problems and making sure they’re right,” Aniketh said. “You’re writing solutions for them, doubling, triple, checking that all the units, writing and formatting are correct. You’ve got to draw diagrams, and then the day of the contests you’re pretending that everything is good on the outside, but behind the scenes, sometimes it can be a complete nightmare.”

To upper school mathematics teacher Anu Aiyer, Aniketh’s dedication to problem-solving and insightful contributions to class discussions enrich the understanding of everyone involved. She observes that despite taking especially challenging classes, Aniketh’s commitment to going beyond the basic material testifies to his insatiable curiosity and passion for delving into the intricacies of each subject.

“I know he is thinking deeply because there are follow-on questions that he asks for which I go, ‘Oh yeah, that’s a good point,’” Aiyer said. “He tends to make connections between things that we’ve talked about, and he’s generally curious because he says, ‘Oh, wait, why does that work? Why does that not work?’ Once he knows the answer to that, he has the ability to explain it better.”

Outside of his own classes, Aniketh also works to teach others about complex topics ranging from AI to torque as a lecturer in Harker’s AI and Physical Sciences clubs. He finds immense satisfaction in guiding students to their own “aha” moments, as he uplifts those around him and encourages them to explore more by sharing his knowledge.

“I worked as a teaching assistant in the summer before junior year, and I was teaching eighth graders an introduction to Java.” Aniketh said. “Being able to see them understand a concept and have that lightbulb turn on above their head like, ‘Yeah, I realize how lists work’ makes me realize I’m actually helping other people learn something.”

A constant source of positivity for his friends, Aniketh aims to inspire and bring out the best in his peers. Close friend Joe Li (12) holds Aniketh’s dedication to helping others in high regard. It was Aniketh who encouraged him to delve into STEM olympiads, through which he discovered his own academic interests.

“You usually hear people say you’re the average of your friends,” Joe said. “Whenever I hear this, Aniketh is the person that I think about. He’s the guy that brings up my average. He’s the guy that makes me really appreciate being friends with him because he’s inspired me to do the things that I do today.”

In a similar vein, close friend Reshma Kosaraju (12) values how Aniketh can talk about anything, from video games to future life goals. After becoming close friends with him in their sophomore year, she found Aniketh to be a reliable friend – supportive, thoughtful and funny.

“Whichever level the conversation is operating on, whether it’s something that’s not really deep versus something that’s really profound, we can have conversations about anything,” Reshma said. “I appreciate that he’s the type of person to be able to facilitate those conversations and have something to contribute regardless of the situation.”

Although Aniketh’s interests mostly lie in academic pursuits like science competitions, he hopes the legacy he leaves, above all, is his humor and affable personality. As his time at Harker draws to a close, Aniketh reflects fondly on the memories he has had over the years. To him, the time he has spent cracking jokes during lunch and entertaining others carries far more meaning than any achievement. 

“Beyond academically, I want people to remember me for all the funny moments I had with them, all the entertainment I’ve caused, all the smiles I put on people’s faces,” Aniketh said. “If that’s the only thing people remember about me, I’d be happy.”