Celebrating Friday with Cake Day: Cooking Club collaborates to cater cakes

Victor Gong
Pranav Sukesh (11) and Ian Gerstner (11) prepare a slice of Cooking Club’s chocolate cake for Luke Wu (10). “[When we saw that] people were waiting in line for a long time, we realized that we could totally cater to the event and provide food for everybody,” Ian said.

Head of upper school Paul Barsky collaborated with Cooking Club for the first time to distribute slices of cake to students and faculty gathered outside Nichols after school on Friday before the three-day weekend. 

Barsky and administrative assistant Michelle Martinez provided four cakes: vegan vanilla, chocolate, strawberry shortcake and red velvet. Additionally, Cooking Club contributed three extra homemade chocolate cakes for the occasion.

Barsky originally started the monthly tradition last year as a way to celebrate all the birthdays of students and faculty throughout the month, but it quickly gained an identity of its own. Instead of only birthdays, Cake Friday commemorates all events and ceremonies of the month, and Barsky also hopes that it can offer opportunities for students and faculty to get to know each other better.

“I believe very strongly in rituals and the importance of rituals,” Barsky said. “They give us time to think about and reflect on events in our lives, and I think it’s a nice way for the community to come together.”

To support the event, Cooking Club baked three chocolate cakes in the Manzanita kitchen with permission from staff. Cooking Club president Ian Gerstner (11) regarded the event as a success, with the club’s efforts allowing more people to grab a slice rather than miss out on the after school treat.

Students stand in line gazing at the assortment of cakes as administrative assistant Michelle Martinez serves slices of red velvet. Martinez and head of school Paul Barsky, along with Cooking Club, provided a total of seven cakes for the event on Friday. (Victor Gong)

“[When we saw that] people were waiting in line for a long time, we realized that we could totally cater to the event and provide food for everybody.” Ian said. “I thought it would be really awesome to just put a smile on everybody’s face.”

Event attendee Kyle Li (11), whose birthday coincidentally fell on the same day as Cake Friday, rushed in line along with many others and eventually decided to take a slice of chocolate cake from the Cooking Club table. He appreciates how Cake Friday allows students and faculty to take a short break from their busy lives and simply talk to one another while consuming delicious cake. 

“I think it is a very good way for people to form bonds, and it really helps relieve the stressful atmosphere here at Harker,” Kyle said. “Usually everyone is busy studying for a test or something, but during Cake Friday, everyone can have some time to unwind.”