Homecoming Week Day 1: Classes dress up for musical theme and marshmallow-spaghetti tower building competition

Margaret Cartee
Jia Jia Jiang (11) puts the finishing touches on her group’s marshmallow-spaghetti tower during lunch on Monday. Jia Jia’s team built the highest standing tower in the competition.

Upper school students and faculty commenced Homecoming Week by dressing up in their class themes, and students competed to build marshmallow-spaghetti towers in front of Manzanita Hall on Monday. 

Students from each grade dressed up according to their class musical theme. Seniors wore green clothing and witch hats in spirit of “Wicked,” and juniors sported patriotic colors and colonial dress for “Hamilton.” Sophomores donned red, white and blue outfits for “High School Musical,” and frosh wore blue and white outfits and dresses for “Mamma Mia!” 

Students who dressed in their class theme and checked in with Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) representatives in front of Manzanita Hall during lunch earned spirit points for their class. Teachers also joined in on the spirit with colorful outfits. Upper school math teacher and senior class adviser Bradley Stoll displayed his class spirit with green face paint. 

Frosh Grace Fu and Isabella Niu wear blue and white for their class’ assigned musical, “Mamma Mia!”. Each grade donned outfits relating to their class theme. (Tiffany Zhu)

“When I was in high school, we didn’t really have spirit weeks, but our school was spirited around sports,” Stoll said. “Here it’s not like that because [the students] are commuting and doing homework, but I think having some school spirit is an important part of community.”

Students also constructed towers using only marshmallows and spaghetti during lunch. Juniors Jia Jia Jiang, Sonia Yu and Tiana Salvi built the tallest, structurally-sound tower, earning gift cards from stores of their choice as their prizes. 

“I participated in the marshmallow contest because I thought it would be fun, and it definitely was a fun and rewarding experience,” tower-building competitor Victoria Ma (10) said. “I got to make some new friends, and even though our tower fell, it was good to participate.”

Sonia Yu (11) places a stick of spaghetti on top of her structure during a spaghetti-marshmallow tower competition on Monday outside Manzanita Hall. The group with the tallest standing tower received gift cards. (Margaret Cartee)

HSLT coordinates Homecoming Week’s events, working behind the scenes to plan themes and dress-up days. HSLT President Arjun Moogimane (12) reflects on the significance of spirit in unifying all students and faculty. 

“Spirit is really important because it’s for everyone,” Arjun said. “It shows that you’re a member of our community. [HSLT] puts on events for everyone, not just for a certain group of people. My favorite parts of spirit are the rallies where we have the entire school just up in one place all together.”