Be on-time and addiction-free: frosh and juniors attend first LIFE assemblies of school year

Felix Chen
Upper school speech and debate chair Jenny Achten speaks to the frosh class about time management in the Auxiliary Gym on Sept. 22. “Think about yourself a little bit scientifically,” Achten said during the assembly. “Think, ‘What stresses me out and what helps me.’ Be really cognizant of those things.”

Frosh and juniors attended Living with Intent, Focus and Enthusiasm (LIFE) assemblies about time management and substance abuse on Friday in the Auxiliary Gym and the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC). 

Assistant upper school division head Kelly Horan introduced the frosh to LIFE and the LIFE board, a group of tenth, eleventh and twelfth graders who plan activities to alleviate student stress and share advice from their own experiences with frosh. Upper school speech and debate chair Jenny Achten then spoke about time management and encouraged students to try new activities while also prioritizing a strong sleep schedule and school-life balance. 

“Think about yourself a little bit scientifically,” Achten said. “Now that you’re older and you have more control over your schedule, when you can [choose to] do what homework, all of those things, think about yourself a little objectively. Think, ‘What stresses me out and what helps me.’ Be really cognizant of those things.”

Achten continued to discuss study habits and work organization. Students then participated in a Kahoot about the Upper School Student Handbook covering Harker policies on classes, discipline and student health. 

Addiction does not care about who you are … It can hit anyone, and it does

— Vicki Sandberg, Counselor at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

In the RPAC, Vicki Sandberg from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation spoke to juniors about countering addiction. Sandberg discussed her first experience with alcohol, how she became addicted at a young age and the lasting repercussions alcohol had on her. 

“I know that drinking and addiction can ruin a lot of lives,” Hannah Levanon (11) said, reflecting on Sandberg’s story. “It didn’t surprise me, but it was sad.”

In particular, Sandberg noted that a lack of information and a desire to try alcohol for fun made her more susceptible to addiction. She also warned that Harker’s stressful environment could make students vulnerable to addiction. 

“Addiction does not care about who you are,” Sandberg said. “It’s not just people who are uneducated or down on their luck. It can hit anyone, and it does.”

Sandberg went over ways for students to prevent addiction. First, Sandberg told students to delay exposure to alcohol for as long as possible to minimize bodily harm. She also advised students to double check the source of pills or drugs to ensure they are safe. 

Students who need help countering substance abuse or know someone in need of assistance can contact the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation at (844)-659-3792.