Humans of Harker: Game on, change on

KJ Williams Jr. cultivates communities of compassion

Sabrina Zhu

“On the basketball team, I want to make everyone feel like they’re part of the team. For SDC, I want every member of the community to feel like they belong. They’re definitely tied together. In a sense, I want people to always feel like they belong wherever they are, whether that’s at school or on a basketball team,” KJ Williams (’23) said.

Sports and social justice might appear vastly different, yet both similarly aim to foster community — ones that strive to bring people together through acceptance and compassion. On any given day, KJ Williams (’23) works to build these communities, in the Zhang Gymnasium as he mentors younger players on the varsity basketball team or perhaps as he encourages students to explore activism during a Student Diversity Coalition (SDC) meeting. Wherever and whenever, KJ’s care for the local community drives his pursuits and aspirations.

For KJ, basketball started off as a hobby and grew into a means to maintain his health and release his energy from the day. As captain of the varsity boys basketball team, he forges strong connections with his teammates on the court.

“I really like the team,” KJ said. “It’s a great bonding experience since the basketball team is super close, and we’re all super good friends. We talk every single day, on and off the court. It creates another sense of community that I really like.”

The amicable relationships he holds with his teammates allow for comfort in relying on each other. KJ understands that each individual brings strength to the team bond and appreciates how the team takes care of him as well. 

“All of us in a sense are leaders for each other,” KJ said. “Sometimes there’ll be days where I’m not doing as well as I would like, and my other teammates try to help pick me up. That’s what I think a leader should do. In a sense, we’re all leaders.”

Close friend and co-captain Abhi Namala (’23) observed KJ’s honesty, sociability and thoughtfulness throughout their years playing on the court together and off the court. He also witnessed KJ’s leadership philosophy translate outside of basketball in high school.

“KJ understands, and he sees the bigger picture,” Abhi said. “When we’re all super serious, he takes that step back. He jokes around with us. And whenever he is not feeling too great, he immediately realizes that and apologizes. He holds himself accountable. He sets an example for everyone in the friend group.”

As he does within his friend group, KJ sets an example for the people around him in the Student Diversity Coalition, a group he joined over quarantine. 

Interested in advocating for the rights of various minority groups, especially African American rights, KJ searched for opportunities to use his own experiences to uplift others. With his own background as an African American student, the cause held personal significance to him. After the death of George Floyd, he attended multiple protests, an experience that solidified his desire to make his community a better and more welcoming place.

“I’m probably the only black kid in my grade,” KJ said. “I’m not saying that I felt alienated by the community, but I’ve had experiences where it felt like I didn’t belong. I didn’t like that feeling. If I felt that way about my race, there’s definitely people in our community that feel that way about some aspect of their identity. But SDC made me realize that if I wanted to do something to make our school better for other people, then I should actually run.”

After being selected as a member of the SDC leadership team, KJ participated in hosting multiple events, such as Culture Week. Even as a relatively newer club, it helped in the formation of new affinity groups and also found many speakers to teach students about unique traditions.

“We had some successes which we learned from, and with this being our second year on campus, we took all of our lessons from last year,” KJ said. “We’re learning from those, like for culture week, we didn’t anticipate that the food truck lines would be as long as they were. So this year, we’re trying to learn from that to make Culture Day better for everyone, so that everyone gets an opportunity to look at everything.”

SDC co-adviser and upper school history teacher Mark Janda testifies to the growth SDC that went through and KJ’s effectiveness as a leader. Janda, like Abhi, pointed out KJ’s ability to see issues from his own point of view. 

“He brings maturity and leadership to SDC,” Janda said. “He has a sense of the big picture because he has been thinking about and trying to address issues of equity for three years, so he knows what’s been going on.

KJ’s care for others’ opinions also impressed SDC co-adviser and Administrative Assistant to Student Affairs Tyeshia Brown. His empathy brought balance to the group, she observed.

“KJ brings maturity,” Brown said. “He brings stability as well because last year was his first year, and he learned how the club works.”

KJ not only demonstrates empathy towards people, but he also applies this same level of care and dedication to other aspects of his life, ensuring his unwavering commitment to his academic and extracurricular pursuits. Through his commitment and dedication, KJ has come closer to reaching his overall goal of helping other people feel welcomed throughout his high school experience.

On the basketball team, I want to make everyone feel like they’re part of the team, and then for SDC, I want every single member of the community to feel like they belong,” KJ said. “They are definitely tied together. In a sense, I just want people to always feel like they belong, wherever they are, whether that’s at school or on a basketball team.”