Frosh and sophomore girls volleyball team defeated by Milpitas in three sets

Kevin Zhang

Yena Yu (9) bounces the volleyball as she prepares to serve the ball. The frosh and sophomore girls volleyball team fell to Milpitas High School on Wednesday after losing their first set 19-25, winning their second set 25-19 and losing their third set 9-15.

by Vika Gautham, Kevin Zhang, and Edward Huang

The frosh and sophomore girls volleyball team fell to Milpitas High School on Wednesday after losing their first set 19-25, winning their second set 25-19 and losing their third set 9-15.

In the first half of the first set, Harker fell behind but caught up quickly through their communication, allowing for the players to receive balls successfully. The Eagles brought the score to 10-9, resulting in Milpitas calling a timeout. The girls scored nine more points, but Milpitas overtook them towards the end of the set. 

“I think today went really well,” setter Ruhi Banerjee (9) said. “We worked a lot during practice, and I think we were actually able to put what we learned to use this time. We improved our understanding of rotations and communicating, which was a major [help].”

In the second set, Harker started off strong by scoring the first point of the set. Through their strong serves and passing, Harker was able to widen the gap between points. Harker’s saves allowed them to rally the ball back. The team’s efficient rotations also proved to serve them well, and let them win the set.

Rahul Yalla (10), who played for the boys junior varsity volleyball team last season, spectated the game and commended the Eagles for their impressive performance. 

“They were receiving most of the serves really well, and they were getting blocks up and tips in,” Rahul said.

In the third set, Milpitas scored multiple points due to their strong defense. However,

coach Diana Melendez is impressed with the Eagle’s significant development and looks forward to seeing the team grow. 

“They’ve worked so hard at practices and trying to understand the game as a whole, and today by far showed massive improvement,” Melendez said.