Humans of Harker: 1,000,000,006 times better

Childhood show “Phineas and Ferb” reflects aspects of the person Simren Kocchar is today

Claire Su

“I’m fine with not knowing what’s going on next; I’m fine with going with the flow, [and that’s my strength]. Focus on what you can control. You can’t [change] anything about [the future] unless you have a time machine, so why worry about it?” Simren Kocchar (12) said.

Concentric circles of ripples expand as Simren Kochhar (12) takes her first steps into the clear, cylindrical sanctuary, as shown in a video from her trip to Australia before sophomore year. Waist-deep in the pool, she cups her hands underwater as instructed. Within a couple of seconds, a friendly face breaks through the surface. Smooth, brown and shining with water, the platypus floats and paddles through the water. Simren delicately pets the animal and glances up, a look of pure joy on her face.

From their physical traits to the history of their biology, platypuses intrigue Simren. Apart from their unique characteristics, like how their fur glows under ultraviolet light, the mystery and unknown parts about this creature draws Simren in.

“[Platypuses] are hidden enigmas,” Simren said. “If you look at their biology, they have very interesting characteristics, and they diverged from the rest of the mammals very early on, yet they’re still mammals. A lot of times, I feel like humans feel like they know everything. [So it’s interesting] seeing a creature we may consider [to be] lower on the evolutionary chain [that] we can’t figure out at all.

Her love for this unique creature also stems from a childhood passion for the nostalgic musical-comedy television show “Phineas and Ferb” and its lovable platypus character, Perry.

”Since I was 5, I’ve been obsessed with Phineas and Ferb,” Simren said. “Obviously, Perry is a platypus. So then I became obsessed with platypuses.”

Sporting “Phineas and Ferb” T-shirts and masks around school, Simren displays her love for the show daily. Her clothing choice isn’t the only thing influenced by “Phineas and Ferb,” and neither is her appreciation for platypuses. Another aspect of the show that resonates with Simren is the message of spreading positivity.

“In ‘Phineas and Ferb,’ they’re always happy; they’re never too stressed out,” Simren said. “They’re always helping anyone who needs it. [Like Phineas and Ferb,] I would want to be remembered as a happy person that made other people happy.”

One way Simren conveys this optimistic mindset to others is through her personality. By being someone who is always bright and in a good mood, she spreads this to everyone around her, including her friends. Camilla Lindh (12), who met Simren in their freshman year, reflects on the impact of “Phineas and Ferb” on Simren’s personality.

“The show in itself makes her a better person,” Camilla said. “She’s always funny and uses that show [in her life]. She’s very unique in that aspect, because you don’t see other people wearing ‘Phineas and Ferb’ pants, right? It adds to her personality and humor.”

In addition to making a positive impact on others through her personality, Simren also strives to make a positive impact in the world. Living in Silicon Valley, computer science is a well-known occupation, but Simren’s aspirations diverge from this path.

“I like computer science, but it’s kind of mechanical,” Simren said. “[It’s] just dealing with the computer, [and] I want to do something [with] actual life involved. You’re directly helping somebody one-on-one [in the medical field]. You can see your impact right there.”

Simren’s determination to make a larger impact on the world shows not only in her interest and experiences in the medical field, but also in her passions within school. As co-president of the UNICEF club at Harker, Simren actively participates in their mission of helping kids around the world and raising awareness on the subject.

“I’m helping other kids because we’ve had a pretty good education and life so far, and good opportunities, but not everyone has that,” Simren said. “So helping kids, especially in countries where their health is not that good, is a mission that I want to support.”

The mindset of taking action to help others displays another aspect of Simren’s personality: her ability to get things done, and the belief that she is capable of it. She reflects on how “Phineas and Ferb” has changed her way of thinking about getting tasks done.

“[Phineas and Ferb] say, ‘The only thing that’s impossible is impossibility,’” Simren said. “Anything can be possible if you’re willing to make it happen. It makes me less stressed to know that I can do everything if I want to do it enough. They have a whole song on ‘Carpe Diem;’ so seize the day, live in the moment. They say the next day is going to be 1,000,000,006 times better, so you might as well make this day the best.”

Showing the true spirit of seizing the day, Simren’s determination shows loud and clear to those around her. Childhood friend Ishaan Parate (12) comments on this trait, which hasn’t changed as she’s grown up.

“She’s always been very bright, bubbly, energetic and very much down for anything,” Ishaan said. “Once she dedicates herself to tasks, she can really get [it] done. And she’s focused when she’s focused. She knows how to get work done.”

Simren’s dedication to work shows in many of her experiences and challenges she has faced, including playing a new instrument in band. Upper school instrumental music teacher Dr. David Hart, who has taught Simren in lab band and jazz band since her freshman year, speaks on how he has watched her grow through high school.

“This is someone [who], when she sets a goal for herself, she goes for it,” Dr. Hart said. “She continues to try to do things that are new, and difficult for anyone, but she’s always pushing herself. It’s always humbling when I’m around her, because she is one of the hardest working people [I know].”

Simren’s strong work ethic and optimism stem from her childhood show and other experiences, culminating in an easygoing mindset that she plans to hold close in high school and beyond.

“I’m fine with not knowing what’s going on next; I’m fine with going with the flow, [and that’s my strength],” Simren said. “Focus on what you can control. You can’t [change] anything about [the future] unless you have a time machine, so why worry about it?”