ETCon presents students with a deep dive into the world of bioethics

Alysa Suleiman

Postdoctoral researcher Dr. Vasiliki Rahimzadeh talks to students at ETCon. Rahimzadeh explored the use of genetic data in both aiding medical advances and presenting several legal issues regarding privacy and safety.

by Varsha Rammohan, Managing Editor

The upper school Ethics in Technology Forum hosted ETCon, a large conference held to discuss important ethical issues in biological research and medicine after school in the Nichols auditorium on March 6.

The club invited three speakers from Stanford University to speak to attendees. Department of Dermatology Chair Dr. Paul Khavari discussed his experiences in bioethics from a religious stance, delving into the relationships between science and theology.

Dr. Hank Greely, a professor of law and genetics at Stanford, delivered a general overview of bioethics and its applications in the legal world. Postdoctoral researcher Dr. Vasiliki Rahimzadeh explored the use of genetic data in both aiding medical advances and also presenting several legal issues regarding privacy and safety.

Upper school science teachers Anita Chetty, Dr. Matthew Harley, Mike Pistacchi and Dr. Kate Schafer as well as upper school English teacher Nicholas Manjoine offered extra credit to their students if they attended the conference for the full duration. 

“Whether it is gene editing or data sharing, as Dr. Greely put it well, ethics is all about connections, learning how to bridge the technicalities of science with the humanity of it,” said club officer Sidra Xu (11.) “If there is one thing I wish all the attendees take away, it is that the search for truth and the satisfaction of our curiosity must be followed by the question of “should”, that is, “should we be doing blank?”’

The Ethics in Tech Forum holds club meetings every two weeks and may be holding an ETCon: Artificial Intelligence in the late fall and renaming the spring conference to EtCon: Bioethics, though these are in early planning stages.