Menlo School announces school closure through weekend due to coronavirus exposure

by Arya Maheshwari, Managing Editor

The Menlo School in Atherton announced today a closure of the School through this weekend due to a staff member’s exposure to COVID-19 through a relative who tested positive for the novel coronavirus today. 

“Out of an abundance of caution and for the safety and well-being of our community, we have decided to close the School through the weekend,“ Menlo Head of School Than Healy said in a letter to members of the Menlo community

The closure of the School includes a stop to all school activities, “including classes, athletics, arts, clubs, and planned field trips.” Healy also noted that the campus will undergo a deep cleaning during the time the School remains closed.

“While it is not our intent to cause undue alarm or disruption to our students’ learning, the School has decided to act conservatively and in the best interest of our community members in announcing this closure,” Healy said.

San Mateo County reported on Monday that a county resident had tested presumptive positive for COVID-19, with confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) pending. Santa Clara County currently has 11 cases of COVID-19, with two reported due to community transmission.

The Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) announced last Thursday that two students from the district, one at Palo Alto High School and the other at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School, were sent home due to a parent’s possible exposure to COVID-19.