Humans of Harker: Love is the secret ingredient

Allie Lee (12) spreads laughter in all situations

Shreya Srinivasan

“Trying to be friends with as many different people as possible has been really cool and also kind of life changing because I think I’ve definitely become a different person. Since coming here and just getting to know different people and accepting them has been really interesting for me, and I think that it’s a really good thing to learn early on in your life,” Allie Lee (12) said.

Have you ever been on eleven cruises and traveled the world by sea? Did you ever join a summer immersion program in Spain? Are you known for your hugs? You may not be able to answer all these questions with a simple “yes”, but senior Allison “Allie” Lee can. 

Since her childhood, Allie has immersed herself in various activities, all linked with the common goal of providing for others. As a new Harker student in her freshman year, she joined Make a Birthday Wish Club since it involved baking and interacting with children. She became the treasurer her junior year and has been an active member since. 

“I think there’s the community aspect of it, both the Harker one and then the merging of Harker and abode shelters because especially the officer team we’ve become really close over the past two years,” Allie said. “Especially this year, because we coordinate on a lot of details, and we spend a lot of time in the meetings and outside of school.” 

Along with bonding with the officer team, she has also become acquainted with the children at the new abode shelter that the club began partnering with. 

“Because there’s a set number of kids, we get to know all of them on a closer level because in the previous shelter, the number of families kept changing all the time so we didn’t really get to connect with the kids on a deeper level but now, we’re really close to them and I think we’re becoming more of a family,” Allie said. “It’s really cool to see them grow up and see how they’re experiencing life and how we can impact them in that way.”

Allie’s kindness and enthusiasm towards the children carries into her friendships and her close friend Emiko Armstrong (12) describes Allie as both selfless and caring. 

“I think everyone thinks she’s really quiet and keeps to herself, but I love that when we’re all hanging out together, she’s laughing the loudest, she’s having the most fun,” Emiko said. “You really get to see a different side of her when you’re best friends with her, and it’s the most adorable thing ever.” 

After joining Harker in high school, Allie has learned to grow out of her shell and interact with new people outside the friend group she had at her previous local public school. 

“Trying to be friends with as many different people as possible has been really cool and also kind of life changing because I think I’ve definitely become a different person,” she said. “Since coming here and just getting to know different people and accepting them has been really interesting for me, and I think that it’s a really good thing to learn early on in your life.” 

Another of her close friends, Anna Miner (12), notices the change in their friendship from when they first met in freshman year to now as seniors. 

“Everything about her personality becomes bigger once you know her and I feel like most people think she’s like this sweet kind girl, and then when you get to know her, you’re like ‘Wow, it’s really true,’” Anna said. “She comes out of her shell. It’s really nice to see her in her element.” 

Emily Chen (12), who has been close with Allie since freshman year, recognizes that Allie has always been willing to make time for her and has frequently lightened the mood with her “crazy, fun, creative, sarcastic and ridiculously hilarious side.”

“Allie is honestly one of the most genuine and caring people I’ve ever met. She is so incredibly sweet, and she’s always there for me whenever I need it,” Emily said. “She comes up with the best puns and roasts, and she’s so witty, and she can always make me laugh no matter what.”

Other than spending time with her friends and participating in Make a Birthday Wish Club, Allie also enjoys baking treats such as tiramisu, lemon squares and spritz cookies, an activity that she began in her childhood with her mom, cousin and aunt.

“You put a lot of work into something and you get to see the result and that also made me happy,” Allie said. “It’s also like the time I spend with either myself or my mom and it’s a really good time to settle down and reflect and just ground myself instead of feeling really stressed and trying to keep moving all the time.”