Weekly roundup: Spring sports knock competition out of park

by Anna Vazhaeparambil, Reporter

Baseball:

Although their match on Monday against Woodside High School rained out, ending in 4-0 to the Eagles, the varsity baseball team still gained two more wins this week, increasing their league record to 4-1 and their overall record to 7-3.

The team beat Summit Prep Rainier 11-1 on Tuesday and Westmoor High School 13-2 on Friday, earning hits all around at both games.

During spring break, they host ACE Charter on Thursday, April 4 at 4:00 P.M.

Golf:

Last week, the golf team competed against Crystal Springs on Wednesday, March 27, winning 202-269, and played in the Champions Invitational this weekend.

Senior Bradley Lu led the team during the match versus Crystal Springs, shooting three under par, while junior Jaiman Bhagat tied for 31st in the Champions Invitational, in which up to 239 golfers participated in.

After spring break, the boys play Sacred Heart Preparatory School on Monday, April 8.

Lacrosse:

Following two more wins last week, the varsity girls lacrosse team remains undefeated in league, maintaining a record of 3-0. They defeated Aragon 4-2 on March 26 and Notre Dame 10-6 on March 28.

“I’m so proud of the progress that we have made, and I think every player on the team contributes a lot towards every game,” attacker Zoe Sanders (10) said. “I’m looking forward to playing the rest of the season and seeing even more improvement for each of our players.”

The team continues to practice over spring break as they prepare for their upcoming matches against Mercy High School and Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory the following week.

Softball:

After losing to King’s Academy 14-2 and with their game against Mercy High School ending in a forfeit due to their opponent’s not having enough players, the girls softball team currently maintains a league record of 1-5 and an overall record of 2-7.

Despite their tough season, the girls are still optimistic for things to turn around in the upcoming month.

“Even though we lost the game against King’s Academy on Tuesday, we still fought hard and played well,” senior Mahi Gurram said. “I look forward to bonding more with my team and winning some more games.”

With no games over spring break, the team next plays against Notre Dame High School on Tuesday, April 9, and hosts El Camino High School on Thursday, April 11.

Swimming:

Once again, the swimming team had a strong performance at their meet, earning recognition in a variety of events at the WBAL Jamboree on Thursday, March 28. This is the team’s fourth meet of the season, and they have already seen several CCS qualifications in both relay and individual events.

After spring break, the team hosts King’s Academy on Thursday, April 11.

Tennis:

The boys varsity tennis team currently hold a 9-1 league record, having defeated Sacred Heart Preparatory School 7-0 on Monday, March 25, and Nueva 6-1 on Wednesday, March 27.

The match against Nueva saw especially solid performances from singles players Richard Hu (11), Mihir Sharma (11), Joshua Tseitlin (9), and Joshua Zhou (11).

“We have only lost one match this whole season and that was to Menlo, the defending CCS champs,” junior Simar Bajaj said. “Things are looking really bright as of now.”

The boys next play against Menlo on Monday, April 15.

Track and Field:

The varsity track and field team competed at three meets during the past week: the Cupertino/De Anza College Invitational on March 23, the WBAL Meet #2 on March 26 and the Firebird Invitational on March 30.

At De Anza College, Zoey Rosa (11) set a school record in the 400m hurdles, and Alexa Lowe (9) set a frosh school record in the long jump.

Sophomore Anton Novikov placed first in the boy’s 100m dash and third in the 200m dash at the second WBAL Meet, while the boy’s 400m relay team of Andrew Chen (9), Mitchell Granados (12), Anton and Giovanni Rofa (11) won their event. Additionally, senior Lilia Gonzales took second in the 3200m run, and Kismet Singh (11) and Lilly Anderson (12) won second and third respectively in the 100m hurdles. In field events, Alexa placed second in the girls triple jump, Giovanni and Andrew took first and second respectively in the boys event and Ayush Vyas won second in the discus throw.

With many runners also dropping their times at the Firebird Invitational, the team looks to further improve their performance at future meets, as they prepare for the Bearcat Invitational on Saturday, April 13.

Volleyball:

After defeating both Los Altos High School on Wednesday and Lynbrook High School on Friday in three sets, the varsity possess a league record of 10-1 and an overall record of 20-3, ranking tenth in the nation and first in CCS.

The boys next play in the Bellarmine Tournament on April 5 and 6, before competing against Mountain View High School on Wednesday, April 10, after spring break.

Last week, the junior varsity team also played a strong game, earning their first league win of the season against Los Altos. The boys won 2-1, and although they later lost 0-2 against Lynbrook, they continued to play well in the Monta Vista Tournament over the weekend, earning third place in the third bracket.

“This season has been an excellent learning opportunity for all of us,” Sujith Pakala (9), the freshman captain of the JV volleyball team, said. “We came in a raw, undeveloped group, but this season has brought us together through hard work and dedication, culminating in our win on Wednesday. We are looking forward to making significant strides over the latter half of our season.”

Now maintaining a league record of 1-5, the team also plays Mountain View High School on April 10.