School meeting recap 9/26/18

School meeting recap 9/26/18

Members of Spirit Club bow before the Eagle mascot at school meeting on Wednesday in promotion of Spirit Week, which will start on Monday.

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

by Ryan Guan, Executive News Editor

Eagle Update presenters Mitchell Granados (12), Grace Hajjar (11), Matthew Hajjar (12) and Adhya Hoskote (11) discussed the past week’s games and sports events. Mitchell invited students to come to the annual homecoming game on Oct. 5, when the football team will play Elsie Allen High School.

Katherine Tian (12), one of the editors-in-chief of the upper school science research magazine Harker Horizon, announced that submissions to the magazine are now open. Submissions guidelines can be viewed at horizon.harker.org/submit, and the first wave deadline is Nov. 26.

Seniors Sunya Siddiqui and Ashley Jia announced that the Marine Biology Club will host a screening of the film “Plastic Ocean” in Dr. Kate Schafer’s room on Oct. 1 during lunch.

AP US History teachers Julie Wheeler and Katy Rees introduced the annual APUSH trip. This school year, juniors and seniors can travel to Chicago for three days during spring break. Interested students can attend an informational meeting next Wednesday in Rees’s classroom, Shah 401, after school meeting.

The annual homecoming dance will take place Oct. 6 from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Tickets will be sold this week for $15 and at the door for $20.

Spirit representatives took the stage to announce next week’s spirit events in preparation for the homecoming rally next Friday. The sophomores and juniors can dress up according to their “East Coast” class themes on Monday, and the senior and freshman “West Coast” theme day is Tuesday. Students can wear their class colors on Wednesday, “throwback”-themed outfits on Thursday and their class shirts on Friday. The annual advisory parade and a dodgeball game will also be held next week.

ASB president Neil Ramaswamy (12) and treasurer David Feng (11) reminded students that donuts in Manzanita on Fridays are for teachers only.

The money from Snack Bar has funded the addition of two new ping pong tables to campus, one outside Main and one between Dobbins and Nichols, to accompany the existing senior-only ping pong table outside Shah. People who want to play can pick up paddles and balls from Eric Kallbrier’s office outside Main or from the Dobbins and Shah offices. Neil and David also asked students to put the table covers back after they are done playing.