School meeting recap 9/4

Head of Upper School Butch Keller speaks about proper student-teacher interactions at school meeting yesterday.

by Eric Fang, News Editor

Harker Aquila’s first photo slide show of the year greeted students as they took their seats for the school meeting yesterday.

ASB President Neil Ramaswamy gave a brief welcome to the students before handing the microphone off to Dan Molin, the head of athletics at the upper school. Molin introduced the new captains counsel, a group of upper school team captains that would serve as the upper school’s athletic leadership.

Jaron Olson, the head athletic trainer, informed students of the various Harker fitness programs that could help fulfill P.E. credit requirements. This includes three sections of yoga, capoeira after school and fitness or conditioning during the day. He said that a Google form would be sent out to students this week.

Grace Hajjar (11), Arjun Kilaru (12), Mahi Gurram (12) and Adhya Hoskote (11) gave the traditional eagle update while the eagle mascot started the wave in the audience.

Performing arts representatives then announced that auditions for Our Town, the Fall Play, would be held in room 501 in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center from 3:40 to 6:00 p.m. yesterday and today.

Next, students watched Dr. Thomas Artiss’ Meet Your Teacher Feature video by Kathy Fang (11). Artiss’ interview was done both by Kathy and Jessie Wang (11).

Dr. Victor Adler, the newly appointed senior class dean, along with Zach Hoffman (12) and Arjun Kilaru (12), encouraged students to attend Spirit Kickoff by starting chants of “I’m going to Spirit Kickoff”. The event will be held from 3:30 to 7:00 p.m. this Friday.

Harker Robotics then introduced their Pancake event this Thursday from 3:45 to 6:00 p.m. They showed a quick video to outline their club officers and what each of their responsibilities are.

Mr. Anthony Silk announced the arrival of new chess pieces to the upper school using an excerpt from the children’s story Alice in Wonderland. He stressed how fragile the pieces are and that the pieces are not meant to be thrown or riden.

Harker Dev then said that they were looking for freshmen, sophomores and juniors to join them in making applications for the Harker community.

Debate teacher Scott Odekirk introduced Haris Hosseini (12) prior to Haris’ speech titled “The Man Problem”. In his speech, Haris highlighted the harmful effects of toxic masculinity and the recent actions of men in general.

The last speaker, Butch Keller, the head of the upper school, led students and faculty with a moment of silence for Diana Nichols, who passed away this past weekend. He then concluded the meeting with an introduction of school counselors and a commendation of the Winged Post and Harker Aquila for its coverage of alleged crimes against a former music teacher at the upper school.