School meeting recap 5/2

ASB president Jimmy Lin (12) delivers his State of the School address, in which he reviewed student council's projects and work over the course of the school year. Jimmy delivered his customary line,

ASB president Jimmy Lin (12) delivers his State of the School address, in which he reviewed student council's projects and work over the course of the school year. Jimmy delivered his customary line, "Class starts at 10:50 you're all dismissed," for the final time at today's school meeting.

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

by Tiffany Wong, Aquila News Editor

Harker Athletics gave a short update about games this past week and encouraged students and faculty to support the teams at upcoming games this week.

The varsity softball and track and field teams played videos inviting students and faculty to attend their senior nights against Castilleja and at the WBAL Championship Trials on May 3 and May 5, respectively. The softball match will begin at 4 p.m. on the Saratoga campus.

Student council’s Happiness Committee representative Kelsey Wu (11) shared details about the council’s newest project the Contemplative Quiet Space, designed to provide students with an area for relaxation and rest during AP exams weeks. The Contemplative Quiet Space will be stationed in the athletics center MPR. Students may also visit an inflatable slide on Davis Field throughout the school day on May 10.

Harker Model UN members Logan Bhamidipaty (11) and Amy Dunphy (12) encouraged students to sign up for the Stanford Model UN Conference, which will be held at Stanford University from Nov. 9 to 11. Permission slips are available in history teacher Carol Green’s room and via Harker Model UN’s Schoology page, and are due by May 31.

Quiz Bowl representatives Swapnil Garg (12), Edgar Lin (12) and Michael Eng (9) announced the upcoming competitions Foner Bowl, World Bowl and Euro Bowl. Foner Bowl will take place on May 4 during long lunch, World Bowl May 8 during long lunch and Euro Bowl May 10 during long lunch.

Harker Spirit and student council members reviewed seating for this coming Friday’s rally. Junior class council treasurer Shania Wang (11) also encouraged students and faculty to attend today’s Quadchella, which will be held during long lunch in the quad.

The upper school orchestra played a promotional video showcasing their graduating seniors and the repertoire they will be performing at their upcoming Spring Concert, which will be held on May 4 at 7 p.m. in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center. Tickets for the concert are available here.

Members of various upper school choirs encouraged students and faculty to attend the spring vocal concert, which will be held on May 3 at 6 p.m. in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center. Guys’ Gig performed Frank Ocean’s “Thinkin Bout You,” a song they will be singing at the event.

ASB president Jimmy Lin (12) delivered his State of the School address, in which he praised the four student council committees of Food Committee, Student Life Committee, Student Events Committee and Renovation Committee for their dedication towards bringing together the upper school community. Current ASB vice president and rising ASB president Neil Ramaswamy (11) then took the stage to outline his plans for the next school year, which include collaborating with other student clubs and groups on campus on projects and involving more of the student body in student council discussions.

Matthew Hajjar (11) delivers the meeting's Eagle Update, highlighting the performance of teams at games this past week and encouraging students and faculty to support student athletes at upcoming games this week. Throughout the update, Harker Athletics' eagle mascot attempted to lead the student body in a wave across the gym.