Varsity boys volleyball defeats Mountain View in four sets

Freshmen+Billy+Fan+and+Brian+Pinkston+block+a+ball+against+Mountain+View+High+School.+The+varsity+boys+team+beat+Mountain+View+in+four+sets.+

Nina Gee

Freshmen Billy Fan and Brian Pinkston block a ball against Mountain View High School. The varsity boys team beat Mountain View in four sets.

by Nina Gee, Reporter

The varsity boys volleyball team defeated Mountain View High School on Wednesday after four close sets with scores of 25-13, 28-26 and 25-15 in the second, third and fourth sets.

The boys went head to head with Mountain View in the first set, always staying within two points of each other until Mountain View pulled ahead midway through the game and won the set 25-19.

“We started off with not very much defensive intensity, and we weren’t getting very many stops,” Jeffrey Kwan (10) said. “They were scoring first ball, and in the second and third and fourth games, we played a lot better defensively, which allowed us to go on a lot more runs and score better.”

Morale was low heading into the second set, but the eagles brought it back with several consecutive points scored by outside hitter Jarrett Anderson (11) and a few aces by Brian Pinkston (9). The eagles ended the set with a score of 25-13.

“I thought [the players] did a really nice job of isolating Jarrett Anderson on the right side,” coach Chad Gordon said. “Getting a lot of action into our left and then flipping the ball over to our right really freed him up, and he had a great night.”

The players again were neck and neck with their opponents throughout the third set, but with decisive serves from Charlie Molin (11) and strong blocking from Billy Fan (9) they were able to win the third set as well.

Following a brief time-out called by Mountain View, the eagles swept the last set with a score of 25-15, despite struggling with the many out-of-system plays they had to resort to. Once again, the match showcased outstanding offense from Jarrett and strong defense from libero Jeffrey.

“I think we have a lot of the foundation down,” team captain Jimmy Lin (12) said. “It’s just a matter of being able to start off a lot faster than what we did today, and just getting into a rhythm where we can be at full energy and we can be confident in doing what we do best.

The team’s next game is away against Los Altos on Mar. 23 at 6:45 p.m.