Girls varsity basketball loses against Castilleja

Kaidi+Dai+%2810%29+prepares+to+shoot+a+free+throw+shot+during+the+game+against+Castilleja.+Their+current+record+this+season+is+6-11.+

Karina Chen

Kaidi Dai (10) prepares to shoot a free throw shot during the game against Castilleja. Their current record this season is 6-11.

by Karina Chen, Reporter

The varsity girls’ basketball team lost 37-45 against Castilleja School at their home game on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

The eagles took the lead in the first quarter scoring 10-6. They fell behind in the second quarter with a score of 21-19, and Castilleja kept their lead in the third quarter with a score of 36-31. The team ended the game with an overall score of 45-37.

After the game, varsity girls basketball coach Dan Pringle hopes that the team continues to improve as the end of the season approaches.

“It was a really exciting game,” Coach Pringle said. “Castilleja is a very tough team. They’re very tough. I think that the team needs to focus more in the fourth quarter down the stretch. The main thing I try to tell them is don’t play with pressure; you got to stay loose, breathe.”

With the loss, the team currently has an overall record of 6-11, winning against teams from Pescadero High School, Point Arena High School, Andrew Hill High School, Yerba Buena High School, Mercy High School, and Crystal Springs Uplands.

Despite the teams’ loss, Selin Sayiner (12), one of the team’s co-captains, believes that they have improved tremendously since the beginning of the season.

“I think especially with a new team and having new positions and everyone kind of shifting around we’ve done a really good job.” Selin said. “We’re always playing better together and playing more in unison as one team.”

The varsity team’s next game is against Mercy West on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m.