Harker Horizon holds club week

Megan+Cardosi+%2812%29+and+Neha+Premkumar+%2811%29+buy+from+Harker+Horizon+members+outside+Manzanita+during+lunch+on+Friday.+The+research+journal+held+its+club+week+this+week%2C+fundraising+for+their+costs+of+print+publication+and+inDesign+licenses.+

Sahana Srinivasan

Megan Cardosi (12) and Neha Premkumar (11) buy from Harker Horizon members outside Manzanita during lunch on Friday. The research journal held its club week this week, fundraising for their costs of print publication and inDesign licenses.

by Sahana Srinivasan, Winged Post Editor-in-Chief

Harker Horizon, the upper school’s student-run research journal, sold baked goods during lunch and after school for their club week to fundraise for publishing costs and inDesign licenses.

Set up outside Manzanita or in the cafeteria based on weather, they sold donuts, popcorn chicken and homemade brownies and sugar cookies.

The journal consists of a print magazine and an online presence, horizon.harker.org, which began in 2016 and currently includes several student papers and scientific perspectives of alumni.

“We’re still finalizing submissions, peer-reviewing them and designing them as well with the design team [for the print edition],” Harker Horizon co-Editor-in-Chief Amy Jin (12) said.

Although submissions are closed for this spring’s print journal, submissions for its website are always open, and students can send in work to be considered next year.

“It’s been wonderful,” Harker Horizon Copy Editor Aarzu Gupta (10) said, having joined the team this year. “We’ve been doing lots of designing and brainstorming and asking people for their writing. I’m really looking forward to [publication]. I actually interviewed a professor who’s going to be in the magazine, so that was a good experience as well.”

The annual print edition, which released its inaugural issue last May, will be published later in the spring, currently set for late February or early March.

United Against Animal Cruelty will be holding their club week next week.