Humans of Harker: Alex Chen finds strength in introspection

Melissa Kwan

“I want to play my strengths, but I don’t want to let those strengths define me. I don’t want to confine myself to a little box where people associate me with a select few qualities,” Alex Chen (12) said. “But if I had to pick, I would hope that people would remember me for putting a lot of effort in developing as a musician, as a singer, as well as a drummer, and a guitarist. I’d want to be remembered for my ability to reflect on the world.”

by Sydney Takemoto, Reporter

The stage lights dim; the music starts. But it’s not from a recording, it’s coming live from Alex Chen (12) and the nine other members of the acoustics choir.

A Harker student since sophomore year, Alex has dedicated himself to the performing arts scene. His audition for Bye Bye Birdy, the 2016 spring musical, marked the beginning of this involvement.

“Coming in my sophomore year, I felt like there was a disjointed quality about it because there is this disconnect from the people who started as freshman, or even lifers,” he said. “Auditioning and getting a part instilled a lot of confidence in me that ‘yes, I can be a part of Harker and use the opportunities.’”

Alex loves expanding his knowledge about cultures. As an officer for the Music Around the World club, he explores the intermingling of various music styles, always searching for the common thread.

“He’s tried to understand the different styles of music and how the voice works in different ways, which is very difficult,” music teacher Ms. Susan Nace said. “Most people don’t even begin to work on stylistic differences and how you use your voice differently until college.”

His choir-mate Praveen Batra (12) has found him to be a deep thinker, both inside and outside of the music room.

“We get into a lot of interesting discussions. He’s really good at taking ideas and extending them and taking them to the next level.” Praveen said.

Alex finds the perfect balance between taking life seriously and letting loose — Ms. Nace noted his both his “wicked sense of humor” and his drive.

“[He’s] somebody who likes to do things the very best they can, somebody who has high expectations of himself and other people,” she said.

Alex believes that people must be cognizant of who they are in order to understand how they affect others around them. He values introspection, a quality his friends have pinpointed in him as well.

“It’s kind of like a breath of fresh air, like some perspective, like grounded, but also thinking about the future, thinking about what matters,” his friend Divija Bhimaraju (12) said. “[He’s] striving to have a better understanding that goes beyond our personal experience.”

According to Divija, he’s the perfect conversationalist: open-minded yet opinionated.

“I think Alex has this really relaxing presence that makes you feel like you’re heard and he makes you feel like you’re connected,” Divija said. “He’s not the type of person who will just nod along to whatever you say or end a conversation that’s uncomfortable, but someone who is willing to have those conversations, which to me is really important because I love having conversations that are really meaningful.”

But sometimes, Alex is content to reflect on his own. He finds solace in 5 a.m. and 7 p.m. runs, tuning out the details in his life to focus on the present moment. He has found that this form of “active meditation” has improved his overall concentration and self-awareness.

“Not only is it a really cathartic means of exercise, it’s like you stop worrying about the world around you, and you just focus on your breath,” he said.

Alex wants these contemplations, vocalized or otherwise, to be his legacy.

“I want to play my strengths, but I don’t want to let those strengths define me. I don’t want to confine myself to a little box where people associate me with a select few qualities,” Alex said. “But if I had to pick, I would hope that people would remember me for putting a lot of effort in developing as a musician, as a singer, as well as a drummer, and a guitarist. I’d want to be remembered for my ability to reflect on the world.”